Former Minister for Communications, Edward Omane Boamah, has in a short tweet made the case for state ownership of key utilities.
He suggests in the tweet that the controversy that has hit the concessionaire agreement between Power Distribution Services (PDS) and the government is proof that state ownership of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) is better.
“The PDS scandal is another testimony to the glory of both state ownership and management,” he stated in the tweet.
Government suspended PDS’ management of electricity alleging that the private company has hatched a plan to deceive the state.
Government has explained that documents presented by PDS as a guarantee for the takeover of the power retailing and distribution company were forged.
Energy Minister, Peter Amewu, has also said the documents indicated that a company in Qatar has guaranteed for PDS but the management of that company has told the government the document is not authentic.
PDS, meanwhile, insists it has done nothing wrong and has promised to respond to the suspension of the power concession agreement appropriately in due time.
Dr Omane Boamah added in his tweet that, “I believe there are serious Ghanaians who can manage ECG if proper pay for performance measures are instituted.”
The PDS scandal is another testimony to the glory of both state ownership & management. I believe there are serious Ghanaians who can manage ECG if proper pay for performance measures are instituted.
— Edward Omane Boamah (@eomaneboamah) August 13, 2019
Meanwhile, PDS is still providing all activities related to electricity retail as an interim arrangement.
The joint statement by the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) and PDS said the interim arrangement is “to ensure that there is no disruption of power supply and service delivery” to customers.
A government delegation has gone to Dubai to probe the authenticity of the PDS guarantee.
- Education Minister fingered in $1.2 million ‘phantom’ training scandal
- Another rainstorm to hit Accra, Cape Coast, and other towns tonight – GMet
- ‘Owoo family does not exist in Osu; it is a scam’ – Member of Osu stool
- Otto Addo names Ghana squad for Madagascar, CAR and four-nation tourney
- Remove structures obstructing free flow of water immediately – Akufo-Addo charges MMDAs
- I am not aware of any meeting with Privileges Committee – Adwoa Safo
- Some Christian leaders are not speaking against pervasive corruption because they have been bribed – Prof Martey
- Songs Akufo-Addo should have on his playlist if he truly cares
- More public officers are going to be caught in this web – Martin Kpebu on investigations into Sir John’s will
- ‘Is dumsor back or not?’ – Ghanaians argue on social media
We’ve taken cautious approach to pilot digital currency – Governor
WAFU U17 Zone B: Ghana to host Nigeria in opening game
Akufo-Addo is well aware of my condition – Adwoa Safo
African leaders signal support for African Development Bank’s emergency food production facility
Make AfDB preferred multilateral financier of Africa’s development – Akufo-Addo
I’ve not given up on NPP, I’m still committed to the President – Adwoa Safo
Akufo-Addo is the only person who can sack me – Adwoa Safo
Exclusive: Adwoa Safo speaks on family, NPP, absence from Parliament
I will return when issues with family are resolved – Adwoa Safo
Low income earners tend to be at higher risk of developing stroke – Health expert
Lands Minister requests information on all transactions affecting Achimota Forest
I am not aware of any meeting with Privileges Committee – Adwoa Safo
Mmofraturo Girls School gets new toilet to improve hygiene and sanitation
6th Ghana CEO Summit to focus on digital leadership for digital economy
Inflation is not only the problem; address weak structural fundamentals of economy – IEA to government