Audio By Carbonatix
Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah has disclosed that the government has commenced plans to secure cheaper petroleum products onto the Ghanaian market.
The Minister made this revelation while speaking to Evans Mensah on PM Express on Monday.
According to him, the National Petroleum Authority (NPA) and the Ministry of Energy will provide further details about the importation of fuel onto the Ghanaian market in the coming days.
He noted that the Energy Ministry had already begun talks with some major sources and sovereigns in the supply of petroleum products.
“In President Kufuor’s time, we did it with Nigeria, Sahara lifting for us and you could have supply credit lines and a fixed price that you could bank on and it is a very similar arrangement that has already commenced and I am expecting that in the coming weeks the NPA, the Energy Ministry will have the opportunity to provide the details,” he said on PM Express, Monday.
“I am saying that the work has already started, I will want them to come and put out those details…I am not going to preempt what the people responsible for the sector are going to do. We are scheduling for all of them to come and provide their detailed presentations and during those presentations, all of the questions can be put to them,” he told Evans Mensah.
The Minister’s statement comes a day after President Akufo-Addo announced that government is working to secure reliable and regular sources of affordable petroleum products for the Ghanaian market.
The deal, if successful is expected to put some stability to the escalation of the fuel prices in the country.
Currently, petrol and diesel prices are being sold at an average of ¢18 and ¢23 per litre, from the previous prices of ¢15 and ¢19 per litre respectively.
Already, some leading OMCs have adjusted the prices of petroleum products at their pumps.
Petroleum consumers have lamented the high prices of petroleum products on the market as it has affected businesses and plummeted the cost of living in the country.
Latest Stories
-
NCA orders telcos to extend network coverage beyond district capitals
1 hour -
African Union summit clouded by Saudi-UAE rivalry in Horn of Africa
2 hours -
No more excuses – NCA rolls out stricter mobile service standards
2 hours -
Call drops must fall below 1% – NCA raises bar for telcos
2 hours -
China to implement zero tariffs on imports from 53 African countries
4 hours -
Tunisian police detain opposition figure Olfa Hamdi at airport
4 hours -
US deports 9 to Cameroon despite court protections, NYT says
5 hours -
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
5 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
5 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
5 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
5 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
5 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
6 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
6 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
6 hours
