Audio By Carbonatix
Police have been granted more time to question Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood who was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault.
The 20-year-old footballer was arrested on Sunday following allegations on social media.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said he would remain in custody for questioning.
Manchester United earlier said the forward would not return to training or matches until further notice.
Greenwood has not responded to the social media allegations.
GMP said: "Detectives have been granted additional time to speak to a man in his 20s who is being held on suspicion of rape and assault of a woman.
"Inquiries are ongoing and the victim is being offered specialist support."
The force added: "We remind people to avoid any commentary or sharing of images that could compromise the victim's right to lifelong anonymity, or risk prejudicing a live investigation with active proceedings."
Greenwood, who made his debut for the club in March 2019, signed a four-year deal in February 2021 after rising through the ranks of the academy.
Manchester United said on Sunday the club "did not condone violence of any kind" and had been made aware of the allegations on social media but would make no further comment until the "facts have been established".
Nike released a statement saying: "We have suspended our relationship with Mason Greenwood.
"We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation."
Greenwood apologised after being dropped by England manager Gareth Southgate for a breach of coronavirus protocols while on international duty in Iceland in September 2020.
A month later, his United manager at the time, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, defended Greenwood amid media speculation of his being late for training.
Latest Stories
-
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
48 minutes -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
1 hour -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
1 hour -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
1 hour -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
1 hour -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
1 hour -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
2 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
3 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
3 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
5 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
5 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
5 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
5 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
6 hours