Argentina has declared Tuesday, December 20, to celebrate the country’s World Cup triumph.
Lionel Messi and his teammates won the FIFA World Cup on Sunday in Doha, after a 4-2 penalty win over France at the Lusail stadium.
Hundreds of thousands of fans poured on to the streets to celebrate the win that probably immortalised Messi as one of the sport’s greatest.
Celebrations across the country and among fans overseas will continue non-stop and the Argentine government declared Tuesday would be a bank holiday so that the entire country “can express their deepest joy for the national team.”
In a game of two halves, Argentina took an early lead in the first half courtesy of Lionel Messi’s penalty and Angel Di Maria breathtaking counter-attacking finish, but France roared back in the second half through Kylian Mbappe’s double in the final 12 minutes, reaching a 2-2 tie that forced the match into extra time.
Messi scored his second goal of the match to restore his team’s lead, but Mbappé scored a second penalty to grab his hat-trick, becoming the first player to score a hat trick in a World Cup final since 1966 to take the game to a penalty shootout, which ended with triumph for Argentina after France missed two shots.
The team returned to a heroic welcome on Tuesday in Buenos Aires as hundreds of thousands of supporters drenched in the country’s colours met the team at the airport, singing and dancing.
- Petrol, diesel now sell at ¢15.25, ¢15.90 per litre at pumps
- Stonebwoy revisits VGMA brawl with Shatta Wale on The Breakfast Club
- Debt exchange: I don’t want to believe there are conmen in government – Carbonu on pensions
- Cedi to remain stable against dollar
- UTAG-GIJ threatens to withdraw from UniMac merger
- Fire kills mother, 2 daughters at Abuakwa
- Ghana’s economy to rebound in 2024 – IMF
- DDE: Labour holds government to ‘exemption to all pension funds’ promise
- Bank of Ghana has printed over GH¢50bn in one year – Minority Leader
- Police investigate alleged murder of Gospel musician’s brother by officers
- We will settle cases in line with the Law – Buipe Traditional Council assures Chieftaincy Affairs Minister
- FIPAG apologises for actor Yaw Dabo’s “lazy people watch movies” comment
- Excise Duty Bill: Broader consultation needed to prevent decline in business confidence – AmCham to Finance Ministry
- Debt exchange: You can’t include us through the back door – NAGRAT tells government
- Akufo-Addo presents 175 vehicles, communication equipment to Armed Forces
- Akufo-Addo commissions 300-bed capacity soldiers’ block at 37 Military Hospital
- JoyBusiness Masterclass: Organisations urged to prioritise mental well-being of employees
- Newly refurbished Yendi Emergency and Trauma Centre to boost healthcare
- Sack Ofori-Atta, Agyeman-Manu, Oppong Nkrumah, others over Covid-19 expenditure – NDC
- Agenda 111: Government not committed to completing projects – Akandoh
- Worldreader and Sabre Education announce partnership on World Read Aloud Day
- Government bridges the gap between industry and TVET
- NDC slams ‘Akufo-Addo government’ over ‘naked thievery and misuse of covid-19 funds’
- Hemang Lower Denkyira MP collaborates with Ghanaian-German Centre to tackle unemployment
- Dear Unc’ Kwesi Yankah – RE: Dear Ace, are we celebrating independence this year?