The Chairman of Roads and Highways Committee in Parliament, Kennedy Osei Nyarko says he will reject any proposed road tolls that is below GH¢5.
According to him, the average road toll within the subregion is $1.
As a result any proposed toll which is less than GH¢5, will not be in the interest of the government.
Mr Osei Nyarko said the tolls have been suspended for more than a year therefore, the amount to be paid after its reintroduction should be significant.
Speaking to the media about the government’s proposed reintroduction of road tolls, the Akim Swedru lawmaker said he will only support an appropriate amount.
“After suspending the road tolls for more than a year, why do we just add 50 pesewas to it? As the Roads Committee Chair, I will not support anything less than GH¢5.
“I am doing that based on the average road toll in the subregion and globally which is $1.”
The government has proposed an increase in the road tolls following its reintroduction road after abolishing the collection in 2021.
The Earmarked Funds Capping and Realignment Act, 2017 (Act 947) of the constitution gives the finance minister the authority to commit a portion of road tolls to the Road Fund managed by the Ministry of Roads and Highways and use the remainder for other purposes.
- I didn’t attend the seminary to become a Priest – Rev. Akua Boateng
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- 3 die, 8 go blind as FDA cautions against certain eyedrop brands
- Minority MPs oppose approval of 2 Supreme Court Justice nominees
- Ghana power firms reject move to restructure $1.4bn debt
- Livestream: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- ‘I’ll direct that your hand be cut off one day’ – Speaker teases Afenyo-Markin
- Ghana is not poor, we are only being poorly managed – Dr. Ali-Nakyea
- We’ve had positive talks with China over $1.7bn debt – Finance Minister
- Parliament approves all six ministerial appointees
- Eugene Osei-Tutu: State funding of political parties; are we ready?
- Ho Central NDC primaries: It is time to reward loyalty and hard work – Randsford Kasu
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- Beyoncé and Adidas reportedly end partnership
- Foreign on indigenous: A look at Ghana’s fashion industry
- 2023 Onga Cook Art: Keta SHTS defeats Mafi Adidome SHS and three other schools to qualify for zonals
- Damongo primaries: Adam Mutawakilu should go unopposed – NDC polling station executives
- Parliament adopts new rules as MPs vote on fate of ministerial appointees
- Twitter will kill ‘legacy’ blue checks on April 1
- Minority to ‘do everything possible’ to reject Ministerial nominees – Murtala Muhammed
- Off-duty pilot flying as passenger takes over plane after captain becomes incapacitated mid-flight
- Qpee Vibez out with new Afrobeats song titled ‘Allo’
- US Vice President to visit Ghana on March 27 to deepen bilateral relations, strengthen trade and investment
- MUSIGA to hold elections on August 8 after 4 years of postponements