A road crash at Banana Inn – Mango Down near Dansoman in the Ablekuma South sub-metro has left a police officer with a severe injury.
The accident, which happened at about 10 pm on Tuesday, involved a police motorbike with registration number: GP 2527 and a Toyota Vitz taxi with registration numbers GX 4321- 19.
Narrating the incident to Ghana News Agency (GNA), Elisha Tamakloe, an eyewitness, said the policeman, who was riding the motorbike was pursuing two commercial motors “okada” riders.
He said upon reaching an intersection at Banana Inn—Mango Down, a taxi driver who was about to take a turn, crossed them.
The two “okada” riders swerved the taxi but the policeman was unfortunate, crashing his motorcycle into the side of the taxi, he added.
When the GNA got to the scene around 2210 hours, the police had arrived to assess the incident and moved the motorcycle and the taxi to the Dansoman Police Station.
The injured police officer was rushed to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital.
Data from the Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD) indicate that more than 230 lives perished and 1,237 people sustained varied degrees of injury through road crashes in January this year alone in the country.
Also, a total of 461 motorcycle-related crashes led to the loss of 93 lives and 362 injuries while a total of 707 commercial vehicles were involved in the crashes leading to 95 deaths and 620 injuries.
- Social media reacts to how youth hooted at Akufo-Addo during concert
- Apart from some senior players, no one is guaranteed a place – Andre Ayew on Ghana’s World Cup squad
- NDC orchestrated the heckling of Akufo-Addo at Global Citizen Festival – NPP
- 23,495 Ghanaians test positive for HIV in 6 months
- Bagbin has not resigned from Ghana Bar Association – Dafeamekpor
- Black Stars arrive to rousing welcome in Spain ahead of Nicaragua friendly
- Ghana’s programme will focus heavily on debt sustainability – IMF
- Frontiers Contract contains information we cannot disclose – Ghana Airports Company Ltd
- ‘Stop the foolhardiness, Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival wasn’t orchestrated’ – Stan Dogbe tells NPP
- Parliament approves fees for “access” to information
- Weweso JHS students save up ‘chop money’ to buy sanitary pads
- Global Citizen Festival: Usher, DWP Academy, others wow crowd
- Kenyan accused of ICC witness bribery found dead
- I want to come back to broadcasting – Kojo Yankah
- Mali players fight each other at Basketball World Cup
- Financial inclusion, enterprise development empowering SMEs for sustainable growth
- Government currently has zero equity interest in AngloGold Ashanti – Sam Jonah
- Uganda’s Ebola outbreak: Trainee doctors go on strike over safety fears
- Consensus building is needed at this point – Seth Terkper on Ghana’s IMF negotiation
- Smugglers Paradise: GRA to investigate how custom officials aided in oil smuggling
- We need consensus building on debt restructuring process – Dr. Atuahene
- Release incarcerated KNUST students – Katanga Hall Alumni Association
- Establish a debt limit in the constitution to control borrowing – Dr. Atuahene
- Election 2024: If literates are failing, try illiterates – Kumchacha to Ghanaians
- 14-year-old pregnant girl, 23 others rescued from being trafficked to Côte d’Ivoire