Audio By Carbonatix
Russian forces have again targeted Ukraine's energy facilities, leaving part of Kyiv and other cities with no power and water.
Prosecutors said two people were killed in an attack on the capital. Plumes of smoke were seen billowing from around a power station near the Dnipro river.
Power and water were cut in Zhytomyr, west of Kyiv, and two facilities were badly damaged in Dnipro.
The latest attacks came 24 hours after Kyiv was hit by "kamikaze" drones.
The unmanned drones, believed to be Iranian-made, killed at least five people in the capital and four in the northern city of Sumy, and struck critical infrastructure, with power outages reported in hundreds of towns and villages.
President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Twitter on Tuesday that in the past eight days, "30% of Ukraine's power stations have been destroyed, causing massive blackouts across the country".
Russia has stepped up attacks in recent weeks on electricity infrastructure in cities away from the front lines. Officials have rushed to repair the damage, but the strikes, ahead of winter, have raised concerns about how the system will respond.
It was not initially clear to what extent drones were involved on Tuesday, although Ukraine said Russian bombers had fired missiles and one S-300 anti-aircraft missile had hit a residential building in the southern city of Mykolaiv overnight, killing one person. The city's flower market was also destroyed.
In other attacks early on Tuesday:
- In Zhytomyr, the mayor said there was no power or water in the city and hospitals were working on back-up power
- The strikes on a power plant in Kyiv left the Troyeschyna area on the bank of the Dnipro river without electricity and water
- Power and water supplies were disrupted in the central city of Dnipro, where a large energy facility was destroyed: officials said street lighting would be turned off
- Shelling was reported in the north-eastern city of Kharkiv
- Infrastructure in the southern city of Zaporizhzhia was also hit, although local officials said no-one had been hurt.
In some cities, Ukrainians are buying power generators and gas burners, while across the country, people have been urged to reduce their energy consumption at peak times. Some towns are already facing rolling blackouts.
"We were expecting that Russia will intensify attacks on energy infrastructure and civilian infrastructure and increase the urban warfare towards autumn and here we are exactly with that scenario taking place," Ukrainian MP Lesia Vasylenko told the BBC.
The latest attacks, by both missiles and drones, have brought renewed calls from the Ukrainian government for the delivery of air defence missiles.
Earlier, the US said it agreed with its French and UK allies that the supply of drones by Iran violated a UN Security Council resolution linked to a nuclear agreement, barring the transfer of certain military technology.
Ukraine has identified the drones used in deadly attacks on Kyiv and Sumy as Shahed-136 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). Vedant Patel of the US state department said the US would not hesitate to use sanctions.
Both Russia and Iran have denied that Iranian drones have been deployed. The EU has said it is gathering evidence and is ready to act.
Meanwhile, in one of the biggest prisoner swaps since Russia's war began in February, 218 detainees were exchanged - including 108 Ukrainian women.
And across the Sea of Azov from Ukraine, a Russian fighter jet crashed into the courtyard of a block of flats in the southern Russian town of Yeysk. At least 13 people were killed, including three children, while dozens of residents were rescued from the nine-storey block.
The pilots on board the Su-34 plane ejected.
Latest Stories
-
Dubai Chamber leads 19-Company Trade Mission to Ghana as non-oil trade hits AED39.6bn
11 minutes -
Supreme Court admits Methodist Church Trustees in controversial Wesley Girls’ SHS case
13 minutes -
Aflao Traditional Council opposes relocation of High Court
16 minutes -
NADMO clears fallen tree at Ataala Junction after heavy rainfall
18 minutes -
PBC secures GH₵30m financing facility to pay cocoa farmers
30 minutes -
PAC disappointed over neglect of Ghana’s New York Mission building
37 minutes -
Mighty Minority ready to take on NDC in 2028 – Annoh-Dompreh
39 minutes -
Family of murdered Momo vendor gives IGP 14-day ultimatum or they’ll occupy Ketu police command
43 minutes -
Abronye DC’s health is deterioting in detention – Oppong Nkrumah
47 minutes -
CDSU marks milestones in Global Diplomatic Education and Institutional Evolution
49 minutes -
Of 5,000 hectares and 5,000 acres: The ‘small matter’ of land size for Petroleum Hub project
58 minutes -
Man killed in Bibiani-Asawinso galamsey clash, site owner arrested
1 hour -
Lack of basic educational facilities threatens quality learning at Bueko School
1 hour -
Over 16 NPP members arrested over social media commentary – Oppong Nkrumah alleges
1 hour -
Mahama gov’t has failed faster than expected – Annoh-Dompreh fires at NDC
1 hour