Twenty three grand slam champion Serena Williams has confirmed she will skip the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Speaking to reporters a day before the start of the 2021 Wimbledon Championships, Williams said, on Sunday, that “I’m actually not on the Olympic list…not that I’m aware of. And if so, then I shouldn’t be on it.”
She did not reveal why she decided to forgo the delayed summer games.
“There’s a lot of reasons that I made my Olympic decision,” the 39-year-old American said. “I don’t really want to…I don’t feel like going into them today. Maybe another day. Sorry.”
She continued, “in the past it’s (Olympics) been a wonderful place for me, but I really haven’t thought about it, so I’m going to keep not thinking about it.”
The Olympics are scheduled to start on July 23.
She has won four Olympic gold medals over her prestigious career after making her Games debut at Sydney in 2000.
Williams won gold in the doubles at Sydney in 2000 as well as gold in the singles and women’s doubles at London 2012 and another gold at the doubles at Beijing 2008.
Williams will look to win a record-tying 24th major and eighth Wimbledon title when the famous tournament begins on Tuesday when she faces Aliaksandra Sasnovich of Belarus in the first round.
- In pictures: Hundreds rendered homeless at Ashalaja
- Scores of residents displaced, others trapped as Weija, Oblogo and Tetegu flood
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- World Bank classifies Ghana as high debt distressed country; debt to GDP to hit 104%
- ‘I have unfinished business with Black Stars’ – Milovan Rajevac
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- Police on manhunt for man flogging toddler in viral video
- Pay compensation to affected customers – PURC orders ECG
- Child Rights International places ¢10k bounty on head of man flogging toddler in viral video
- Joy News’ Joojo Cobbinah, NGO sue government over River Offin menstruation taboo
- Angelina Jolie accuses Brad Pitt of abuse on private plane
- Use your political persuasions as platforms to act as change agents – Prof Sraku-Lartey to youth
- ECG prepaid vending system 99% restored in Volta Region
- Ukraine war: Russia warns US of direct military clash risk
- Help take partisanship out of galamsey fight – Akufo-Addo to National House of Chiefs
- Green Edition of ‘Rhythms on Da Runway 2022’ launched
- ‘I sold my mansion for me not to get broke’ – Kofi Amoabeng
- Ekow Blankson’s last video goes viral on social media
- Africa needs a plan to win World Cup – Asamoah Gyan
- Playback: Akufo-Addo meets House of Chiefs and MMDCEs over galamsey in Kumasi
- Driving Schools Association to publish list of approved institutions
- Sex for grades is corruption – Buhari
- UTAG, 3 university labour unions to strike on October 13
- Ghana wins ICAO Council Seat
- Debt restructuring conundrum and finding the right elucidation