A Malaysian fireman widely reported to have wed his pet snake says that he is saddened by the story he says is fake.
Abu Zarin Hussin trains other firefighters in the state of Pahang on how to catch and handle snakes.
Earlier this month, UK tabloids reported that he had married a snake believing it to be his "reincarnated girlfriend".
Mr Hussin told the BBC he was "very disappointed" by the reports, which used pictures from his Facebook page.
"I'm always working with snakes and training other firemen in handling and rescuing snakes," he said.
He is married, and said his wife was "okay" with the stories because she knows they are "fake news".
Mr Hussin started working with snakes in 2007
Mirror Online's report said he had "spotted a snake with a 'striking resemblance'" to a girlfriend who had died.
"He now spends his life with the 10ft long cobra believing it is his dead lover – following the Buddhist idea that people can be reincarnated as animals," the paper reported.
Mr Hussin, 31, is a Muslim.
"The pictures are of me. They used my photos and started making up stories, saying that I married a snake," he told Malaysia's Star Newspaper
Nick York of the Exclusivepix agency, which sold the story to Mirror Online, said the information was provided by a "British journalist in Thailand" who works with Thai media outlets which first published the story.
"The story was checked according to the journalist and if the information is incorrect we can only report what the journalist believed the story to be after doing his own checks," he said.
Mr Hussin says he currently has four snakes in his possession and keeps them with him to understand their behaviour.
- Fact-check: Did the NPP promise to build a harbour in Cape Coast?
- ‘I never promised to build a harbour in Cape Coast’ – Akufo-Addo
- ‘God says we should sing a new song’ not plagiarise – Cindy Thompson to take legal actions against offenders
- Visa refusal for MPs supporting anti-LGBTQ+ Bill should prompt them to develop the country – Adusei Poku
- A flimsy excuse should not be given for denial of a visa to MPs – Sam George calls out Netherlands Ambassador
- Funny Face threatens to kill his baby mama and commit suicide
- NDC must pass Vote of No Confidence on Mahama – Atta Akyea on 1 million secret ballots claim
- Komenda Sugar Factory: Mahama constructed roof before building foundation – Akufo-Addo
- ‘I’m on the run until this country shows me there are laws’ – Shatta Wale
- I lied because people were associating me with politics – Cindy Thompson on ‘Awurade Kasa’
Jude Bellingham: The teenager at the forefront of England’s future
Tributes pour in for former US secretary Colin Powell
‘Krom ay3she, scrap taxes on fuel’- NDC to Akufo-Addo
Soldiers demanded ¢50k to embark on coup – Witness
England given one-match stadium ban following unrest at Euro 2020 final
Law students to demonstrate on Oct. 20 over entrance exams fiasco
Kwasi Obeng-Fosu: Responses to NDC Press Conference on rising fuel prices
Securing a clean and inclusive energy transition
‘I’m on the run until this country shows me there are laws’ – Shatta Wale
Explainer: What is the “metaverse”?
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, October 19, 2021
Government to commission 4 new vehicle assembling plants soon
Fuel price hike: ‘We’re heading for the worst Christmas ever’ – Sammy Gyamfi
Akufo-Addo’s denial of promising Cape Coast a harbour is shocking – Abeiku Adams
Commissioning of Komenda Sugar Factory was done in a haste – Deputy Trade Minister