On Sunday, May 31, President Akufo-Addo gave his 10th address to the nation since the outbreak of the coronavirus in Ghana.
Among other things outlined, the President announced the easing of some restrictions put in place to prevent the spread of the virus which has already claimed about 36 lives and infected over 8,000 people.
According to the President, while final year students in university, Senior High and Junior High Schools can return to school from June 15 to prepare for their exit exams, congregants of churches and mosques can also meet with a limited number of 100 worshipper for a duration of one hour.
These directives according to President Akufo-Addo are to be observed amid strict social distancing protocols and other safety measures including the wearing of face masks.
In addition, Ghana’s borders were to remain closed while special arrangements are made for Ghanaians stranded outside the country to be brought home.
The president also stated that bars, beaches, night clubs, sporting activities and political rallies however continue to be banned.
But it seems Ghanaians have a lot to say about the latest directives by the President. Taking to their various social media handles, some questioned why the restrictions will be eased at a time when the country keeps recording more Covid-19 cases.
While most students were unhappy about the reopening of schools for final year students, others expressed worry over the ability of our local churches and worship Centres to adhere to the new directive.
Fellow Ghanaians, Nana Addo said we can go to church but please don’t listen to him ok— Akosua May💕 (@Akosuahmay) May 31, 2020
In a land of gold and a time of a pandemic…. the destiny of a great generation rests on the shoulders of a show boy…. his name…. Nana Addo.— Kwadwo (@_mun_kay) May 31, 2020
Nana Addo Open everything but he say Campaign rally de3 lie lie in Kelvynbowy’s voice.Nana Dey play Mahama wicked paa oo 😂😂😂😂😂— SARKODIE NEBA SARK✝️🇬🇭 (@NebaSark) May 31, 2020
nana Addo say final year we for go 15th June 😭😭😭awurade 3ka aba fie. The school wey already lef ma inside?— .ひ (@thearmah_) May 31, 2020
Nana Addo: Final year students will resume school.— Dr. Ayigbe Borla Bird ❼ (@Mr_Ceyram) May 31, 2020
Final year students:
Nana Addo: Only final year university students are to report to school on 15th June— Seyram📸🦍🕗 (@__theSeyram) May 31, 2020
Girlfriends of final year students who are in level 100, 200 & 300 : pic.twitter.com/kSocolBADc
This shirt Nana Addo is wearing is called “eden na emba da, school no mo bɛ kɔ”— ANGEL TOPEDO 🤺 (@ThoughtPillow) May 31, 2020
how nana Addo say make we final years p3 go dieeer then ucc exams go be bloody pass. one student one classroom. Adequate social distancing. Eii😭😭😭— .ひ (@thearmah_) May 31, 2020
Nana Addo:Fellow Ghanaians…— Alexander .OA (@_Alexander_oa) May 31, 2020
Form 3 students: pic.twitter.com/ewLHCed9J3
Nana Addo a destroy everything 😂— Sb k. GYESi🇬🇭🍻 (@_gyesi) May 31, 2020
The school part kill my soul inside 😭
See what Nana Addo just caused 🧐😕. This lecturer be wicked pass. pic.twitter.com/MmizfIfURi— Perri-Greno 🇬🇭 (@gyina_yie) May 31, 2020
Nana Addo: University final years will reopen 15th June— lonely mf🙂 (@mawulorm_) May 31, 2020
Nana Addo: Borders are still closed— Kelewele Joint 🍟 (@Ankamagyimi) May 31, 2020
Sarkodie: Nana Addo, even if it’s one day sef like I’ll take oo 😭 pic.twitter.com/nptA4nfdCZ
The time is now guys‼️‼️‼️. Nana Addo dier we’ll discuss him later 😡😡😡 pic.twitter.com/njRW0heWd0— Wiase Y3 d3🙏❤️ (@ScottsJnr) May 31, 2020
Nana Addo: Fellow Ghanaians— Judas Iscariot III (@youareyouokk) May 31, 2020
Form 3 students : pic.twitter.com/vfR2KEZdxv
Nana Addo to final year students pic.twitter.com/TVtrerqDFt— Rodney The Photographer (@rodney_tm) May 31, 2020
Final Year students are to go to school 😂😂— ANGEL TOPEDO 🤺 (@ThoughtPillow) May 31, 2020
Nana Addo you will lose this year’s election. We bore 😡😡😡
Morro mummy go start dey do chairman ein shito give am.😂😂— MR. SHOWBOY (@mr_showboy) May 31, 2020
Nana Addo no force.
Meanwhile, President Akufo-Addo says it is crucial that Ghanaians improve their fitness levels, and adopt healthy eating practices in order to boost their immune systems.
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- 2 sustain gunshot wounds at mining firm in Samreboi
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- Afghan blast kills 19 teenagers sitting practice exam
- Edmund Addo returns to Sheriff Tiraspol after botched summer transfer
- Chinese employer who allegedly slashed throat of Ghanaian employee to be arraigned today
- Elikem Asenath Naa Obiorkor Commey
- State TV off-air amid gunfire in Burkina Faso
- King Charles III: New coins featuring monarch’s portrait unveiled
- Africa’s biotechnology heroes celebrated on OFAB Day
- Queen Elizabeth II died of “old age” – Death certificate reveals
- Uganda gives green light to organ transplants
- Peace deal’ signed by Nigerian presidential rivals
- $100m of Ghana’s oil money unaccounted for – Minority raises alarm
- Mozambique police urges ‘knives and machetes’ war on jihadists
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 3 more people
- From Eric’s Diary: Why the deadline for SIM re-registration will be extended
- Cedi depreciation may force marginal increase in price of petrol, LPG from October 1, 2022