Audio By Carbonatix
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has declared a second national state of emergency, imposing a curfew and allowing closure of internal borders.
The Spanish Prime Minister on Sunday declared the country's second state of emergency, imposing a curfew in all regions except for the Canary Islands.
The curfew lasts from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. local time (2200 to 0500 UTC/GMT ) with regional leaders allowed to vary the times, provided the measures are stricter.
They will also be allowed to shut regional borders, and public gatherings will be limited to six people from separate households.
"The reality is that Europe and Spain are immersed in a second wave of the pandemic," Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said after a meeting with Cabinet colleagues.
"We are living in an extreme situation...it is the most serious in the last half century," he told a news conference.
Sanchez said that later this week he would ask parliament to extend the measures until May.
Regional leaders had already agreed to a new state of emergency and the Sunday meeting was to draw up its terms.
The measures allow the national government extraordinary powers, including the ability to temporarily restrict basic freedoms guaranteed in the Spanish constitution.
Madrid imposed one of the toughest lockdowns early on in the pandemic, as the country's health care system struggled to cope with the number of cases.
Measures were eased in the summer but, like many other European countries, Spain has seen a second wave hit in recent weeks.
The country now has one of the highest numbers of infections in Western Europe. Total cases rose to 1,046,132
on Friday, with an overall death toll close to 35,000.
Latest Stories
-
Newborn baby found dumped in drain at Obuasi Old Estate
2 minutes -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
2 minutes -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
5 minutes -
After losing 2012 election, we couldn’t even afford prepaid credit – Obuobia Darko
9 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
2 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
2 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
3 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
5 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
6 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
6 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
6 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
7 hours