Audio By Carbonatix
Ex-Spanish King Juan Carlos has won an appeal to block part of a case brought against him in the UK by his ex-lover.
Businesswoman Corinna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein has accused the former monarch of directing a campaign of harassment against her since their relationship broke down in 2012.
But the UK judges ruled the former king had immunity over allegations related to the time he served as monarch.
Juan Carlos, 84, abdicated in 2014. He denies any wrongdoing.
Lawyers for Ms zu Sayn-Wittgenstein, 57, who lives in the UK, said the ruling did not affect the "overwhelming" part of her claim.
She is seeking damages and an injunction over allegations that the former king caused her "great mental pain" as a result of "a continuous and ongoing campaign of harassment" since 2012.
Tuesday's Court of Appeal judgment overrules a previous one earlier this year. That one had ruled that Juan Carlos's behaviour before 2014 had been "private conduct" and, therefore, could be prosecuted.
Following the appeals ruling, Ms zu Sayn-Wittgenstein's lawyer, Michael Kim, insisted that the judgement "applies to a very narrow issue" concerning "only the period when Juan Carlos was the reigning king of Spain.
"The overwhelming part of Corinna's claim, from 2014, remains unaffected and should proceed to trial," Mr Kim said.
Juan Carlos was credited with overseeing Spain's transition from dictatorship to democracy in 1975. But he abdicated following a series of scandals involving his family, including a corruption investigation involving his daughter's husband, Inaki Urdangarin, who was later jailed.
The former king has spent more than two years in self-imposed exile in the United Arab Emirates, after leaving Spain over allegations of fraud which were eventually dropped. A Swiss investigation into a multi-million dollar payment from Saudi Arabia was closed because of insufficient evidence.
Latest Stories
-
Newborn baby found dumped in drain at Obuasi Old Estate
2 minutes -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
2 minutes -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
5 minutes -
After losing 2012 election, we couldn’t even afford prepaid credit – Obuobia Darko
9 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
2 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
2 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
3 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
5 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
6 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
6 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
6 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
7 hours