St. John Bosco College of Education has emerged the Northern Zone winners of the maiden National Tertiary Insurance Debate.
The Upper East Region-based education college beat its fierce opponents from the Bolgatanga Technical University to win the debate.
After rounds of a competitive intellectual debate, St. John Bosco College amassed the highest score of 72, with Bolgatanga Technical trailing with 65 points.
The debate organised by the Insurance Awareness Coordinators Group (IACG) assembled eight schools for the Northern Zone championship.
A total of 16 Insurance Awareness Clubs from selected tertiary institutions nationwide, engaged in the debate competition.
The National Insurance Debate seeks to increase the insurance knowledge levels of tertiary students.
The debate will offer the opportunity for students and stakeholders to share perspectives of tertiary students to inform the insurance industry.
It will also clear insurance misconceptions and empower the students to be change agents within their communities.
The contest forms part of the ‘Think Future Think Insurance’ educational campaign by the IACG.
A representative of the Chairman of IACG, Gabriel Kwame, said the contest would nurture and grow the penetration rate of insurance.
“In a growing economy, you need people who understand financial products. If we can impart critical knowledge of insurance at this stage, they would grow into real future leaders and enhance our economy. With this, penetration rate of insurance will grow in Ghana,” he said.
A Prime Time representative, Abigial Serwaa Wiredu, noted that the two zonal champions would compete together in the champion of champions to debate in the final competition on November 16.
“They [winners] will have internship opportunities, and increase their awareness level, get certificates, souvenirs and brochures,” she said.
St. John Bosco College of Education will lock horns with the Komenda College of Education, who won the Southern Zone debate.
Ashanti Regional Manager of the National Insurance Commission, Dennis Farouk Dramani, indicated that “… insurance coverage has actually grown from 2020 till now. It has jumped from 30% to 45% which is quite a very huge growth and this is because of some of these activities that we are undertaking in collaboration with GIZ.”
The National Insurance Debate is an initiative of the Insurance Awareness Coordinators Group (IACG), with support from the Ghana Insurers Association (GIA), Insurance Brokers Association of Ghana (IBAG), Priority Insurance, SIC Life, KEK Insurance Brokers, Starlife Assurance, aYo, Donewell Insurance and Ghana Union Assurance.
- Christian Atsu: Hatayspor official says there was mistaken identity, player still not found
- Turkey Earthquakes: Christian Atsu can’t be located 24 hours after rescue – Family
- Death of Gospel musician’s brother: Pathologist cites asphyxiation, obstruction of airway by foreign body as cause of death
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes
- Tema Motorway is gone; apply common sense when driving – Expert tells drivers
- Government forcing banks to coerce customers to accept DDEP – Senyo Hosi
- We’ll not allow the Judiciary to be used to intimidate Ablakwa from carrying out mandate – Minority
- Funke Akindele loses mom
- Domestic Debt Exchange: We’ve achieved more than 50% of participation – Deputy Finance Minister
- Filling vacancies in government is no reshuffle – Prof Gyampo to Akufo-Addo
- A-G asks Auditor-General to unpublish ‘premature’ Covid-19 Audit Report
- Kojo Antwi and family to hold 40 days observance for late father
- Livestream: One-on-one with Dr Ato Forson on PM Express
- Medikal, Quamina MP & Yaw TOG join TsaQa on Accra Fanfooler remix
- Enchi: 14 persons arrested over disturbance at NPP constituency elections
- I had a child out of wedlock after 20 years of marriage; my wife never left – Couple shares love journey
- All the newly appointed ministers are competent – Asiedu Kokuro
- NEDCo staff want Managing Director out
- Daniel Kwabena Owusu: Driving inclusive economic growth through the Africa digital economy
- UK property register: What 3 luxury homes reveal about who owns UK real estate
- Persons who collapse during sex have underlying medical conditions – Dr. Osarfo
- AngloGold Ashanti holds 2nd edition of “Start Right, End Well” mentorship programme
- ‘We cannot discard these utterances as vain talk’ – NPP reacts to Suame NDC Youth Organiser
- We do not love ourselves as Ghanaians – Jay Foley asserts
- Hold Akufo-Addo and National Security responsible if Ablakwa is harmed – Ras Mubarak