Audio By Carbonatix
The Simpsons Movie will return for a sequel 20 years after the original, 20th Century Studios and Disney confirmed on Monday.
Based on Fox's popular and long-running animated sitcom, which follows the lives of Homer, Marge and their three children, Bart, Lisa and Maggie, the as-yet untitled sequel is set to be released on 23 July 2027.
The first film, released in 2007, saw Homer accidentally pollute the water supply of Springfield and then attempt to save his family and city, which had been sealed off under a huge glass dome.
The poster for the new film, shared on various social media platforms, shows a doughnut being grabbed alongside the tagline: "Homer's coming back for seconds."
Excited fans posted in the comments underneath, with many satirising the show's opening credits to show images of Bart writing lines on a school blackboard, which read: "I will not wait 20 years to make another movie."
The Simpsons first appeared in 1987 as cartoon shorts on another US TV show, The Tracey Ullman Show, before getting their own one two years later.
Created by Matt Groening, it has now aired for 37 seasons. And it was recently renewed through to season 40, which will air in 2028/29.
The first movie, directed by David Silverman, grossed an estimated $536 million (£400m) at the global box office, and there had been rumours in the press of a sequel for years, but nothing was confirmed until now.
Showrunner Matt Selman recently told Variety that streaming had helped the series not only remain relevant to older viewers but also gain new fans.
"Now, instead of the kids watching it on local TV in the afternoon, they can just watch it all, all the time, all day, all forever," he said.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaians death toll in Burkina Faso terror attack now 8
12 minutes -
Ken Ashigbey demands probe into 14 containers of changfang machines
18 minutes -
The NDC doesn’t need a southerner or northerner
20 minutes -
NSA assures service personnel of allowance payments by week’s end
26 minutes -
Why COCOBOD’s pay cut is a band-aid on a gaping national wound
27 minutes -
We cannot stop cross-border trade but must protect our traders – Dumelo
30 minutes -
Port security lapses exposed in importation of illegal mining machines – Ashigbey
34 minutes -
One-week observance in honour of Yaw Sarpong slated for February 19
36 minutes -
Ntim Fordjour urges high-level Ghana-Burkina Faso talks after killing of 7 Ghanaians
46 minutes -
Nhyiaeso MP calls for research-backed approach to mandatory tree crop proposal policy
54 minutes -
The impact of expanding fishing limits on local trawlers at Tema fishing harbour
1 hour -
From “obroni wawu” to “asaase bewu”: Connecting Ghana’s used clothing dilemma to climate change
1 hour -
Galamsey: MMDCEs, public officials found culpable will be prosecuted—Lands Ministry
1 hour -
Lands Ministry begins stakeholder engagement on draft CREMA regulations
1 hour -
We’re a nation of talkers who react to issues and go back to sleep—Sissala East MP
1 hour
