The Minister for Youth and Sports, Mustapha Ussif has commended Ghana’s Tokyo 2020 Olympic Team as the best in the 4th Republic.
The team, recorded impressive feats, including breaking national records in the men’s 4×100 metres relay, weightlifting and swimming, as well as ended the nation’s Olympic medal drought in nearly three decades.
Ussif, who led the Olympic team to the Jubilee House to meet with President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo had words of praises for the continent.
He recounted the success story of the team in the various disciplines, and concluded by referring to their feat as “the most successful Olympic team in the 4th Republic.”
The team which won a bronze medal in the Men’s Featherweight Division also chalked several successes, including Abeiku Jackson of the Swimming discipline setting a National and CANA Zone 2 record (West and Central Africa) of a 53.39s in the 100m Butterfly event, Benjamin Azamati, Joseph Amoah, Emmanuel Yeboah, and Sean Sarfo-Antwi also making it to the final of the 4x100m relays for the first time since Atlanta 1996, with an impressive 38.08s National record.
The Minister also highlighted support the Ministry of Sports provided the team, including supporting their preparations and also paying per diems and qualification bonuses promptly.
The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo Addo in his speech congratulated the team for their individual and collective achievements and pledged his unflinching support towards the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham next year and the African Games which will be hosted in Ghana 2023.
He also announced a $5,000 reward for each member of the team, a $10,000 reward for the 20yrs bronze medalist, Samuel Takyi and a $20,000 investment fund towards the development of his career.
The President in thanking the team for making the country proud, also admonished them to put in their best to win more medals in the coming tournaments.
Ghana Olympic team is currently ranked 79th out of the 206 countries competing in the Olympic games. Ghana last won a bronze medal at the Barcelona 1992 Olympics with the U23 Men’s football team.
Takyi joins the likes of Clement Quartey, a light welterweight who won silver at Rome 1960, Eddie Blay a bronze light-welterweight medallist at Tokyo 1964 and Prince Amartey a bronze middle-weight medalist in Munch 1972 to make history for the country at the boxing discipline of Olympics Games.
- Medical Doctor gets emotional on Joy FM over debt exchange
- Black Stars’ Christian Atsu reportedly missing after earthquake in Turkey
- My loss to Manny Pacquiao was deliberate – Joshua Clottey
- Haruna Iddrisu accepts changes in Minority leadership
- Muntaka accepts Minority leadership reshuffle after meeting with Mahama
- Over 1000 dead as huge quake toppled buildings in Turkey and Syria while people slept
- ‘God, please’ – Asamoah Gyan prays for Christian Atsu, other celebs join
- Cedi continues recent gain against dollar; $1 now ¢10.40
- It is sad BoG unlawfully printed $3.3bn for government – IEA Director of Research
- Government unlikely to pay ¢4.185bn 5-year bond maturing on February 6, 2023
- We’ve amicably resolved impasse over change in Minority Leadership – NDC Council of Elders
- Accra-Tema Motorway no longer fits definition of motorway – NRSA
- SMEs without certification could lose out on ACFTA benefits – Trade Ministry warns
- Livestream: PM Express discusses DDEP and government’s trust deficit
- All set for Kwabena Kwabena’s ‘Vitamilk Love Night’ show on Feb. 11
- Non-participation in DDEP will prolong efforts to resolve current economic crisis – Ofori-Atta
- If you want to get the best out of your employee, compensate them – HR Instructor advises employers
- Sign up for debt exchange ahead of deadline – Ofori-Atta counsels bondholders
- Joy Entertainment Unpacked: Highlighting Guiltybeatz’s Grammys recognition
- DDEP will bring economic stability and growth – Finance Minister
- Ankaful inmates get medical supplies from Tobinco Pharmaceuticals
- Suame traders fume; resist planned demolition of market
- Jesse Morgan recruits Celestine Donkor for inspiring single, Wataban (Wings of God)
- Diaspora Girls’ Senior High School launches 20th anniversary celebration
- Legendary Agya Koo Nimo celebrated by Judahland Empire