Two friends who attacked and robbed a senior high student at Tepa in the Ahafo Ano North Municipality, have been sentenced to 12 years imprisonment each, by the Nkawie circuit court.
Sadam Yakubu, 19, a driver, and Frank Owusu sliding door maker, were said to have attacked and robbed their victim, who is also a commercial tricycle operator with knives and a pair of scissors and made away with his mobile phones and money.
They pleaded guilty to the charges and were convicted on their own pleas by the court presided by Mr Johnson Abbey.
Police Chief Inspector Jonas Newlove Agyei told the court that the victim was a first year student of the Tepa Senior High School and also operated a commercial tricycle during holidays.
He said on December 27 last year, at about 8:30 pm, the convicts asked the victim to pick them from the Municipal Assembly offices to Tepa-Beposo.
On their way, the convicts asked him to stop to enable them to change their footwear.
Chief Inspector Agyei said after stopping, the convicts attacked the victim with knives and scissors and demanded his mobile phones, cash and other items and bolted.
The victim alerted his co-tenant who was a mobile phone repairer of the incident.
The prosecutor said the next day one of the convicts, Yakubu, sent the mobile phone to the repairer for resetting and in the course of the work the repairer saw the picture of the victim and alerted him.
A report was made to the Tepa police who arrested Yakubu.
Chief Inspector Agyei said during interrogation Yakubu admitted the offence and mentioned Owusu as his accomplice.
He was also arrested and after investigations they were charged and brought before the court.
- Samuel Eto’o filmed brutally kneeing a man in the face after Brazil’s World Cup clash with South Korea
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- We reject debt exchange programme; it will destroy savings of Ghanaians – Pensions Chamber
- Cedi likely to strengthen against dollar amidst debt sustainability outlook
- Debt exchange could land Ghana in very difficult times – Dr. Atuahene
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- Presidents must have courage to reshuffle their ministers – Kufuor
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- Cyril Ramaphosa: How Arthur Fraser landed South Africa’s president in trouble
- PM Express Analysis: Paying more for Water & Electricity – A conversation with PURC Executive Secretary
- 2022 FIFA WC: Morocco takes charge of the African challenge after dumping Spain
- Public servants are justified in asking for increase in salaries – Minority Leader
- Police secures court remand for three persons involved in gold scam and robbery
- Banda Khalifa: The Manhyia Saga exemplifies a toxic work environment.
- Good Shepherd R/C JHS wins Junior Science and Maths Quiz 2022
- Masantewaa Emporium represents Ghana at Runway Dubai
- Ghana Muslim Mission commissions clinic for residents at Korle-Gonno
- Delay in speech development in children can be genetic – Speech therapist
- Tanzania to spend cash on schools instead of independence day
- Security guard gunned down on Tarkwa-Banso road
- Brosankro-Aprakukrom Murder: Bereaved families appeal to IGP
- Prices of hair extensions up as festive season nears
- Government has not demonstrated ‘we are in this together’ anthem – Titus Beyuo