Threats of a gas explosion at Marwako restaurant at La in Accra have been neutralised, Fire service officials have said.
This was after workers in and around the Marwako restuarant were evacuated by Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) officers following fears of a possible gas leakage.
Residents and commuters said they could smell the leaked gas, prompting fears of a similar explosion as the October 7 disaster at Atomic Junction in Madina.
"Everybody has been asked to leave," an eyewitness whose office is close to the Total filling station told Joy News Monday.
Attendants at the Total and Goil filling stations have left their post as Fire Service officers monitor the situation.
"We just noticed that people were running away from the Total and GOIL filling stations," the eyewitness said.
"As you cross the road, you can even smell the gas which is still very dangerous," he said, adding shops have closed up over the development.
A NADMO official explained, when some workers at Marwako fast food began to smell a whiff of the highly inflammable substance, they called in the Fire Service.
Joy News' Ernest Manu reported that the restaurant has been closed down temporarily for further investigations.
Deputy Public Relations Officer of the Ghana National Fire Service Billy Anaglatey told Joy News, his officers got a distress call at about 10:34am. The officers found one of the three gas cylinders was leaking as a result of "slow combustion".
"The gas was actually gushing out", he said. The fire officers have had to empty the gas cylinder completely to avert a possible disaster.
He allayed fears of any danger to the public following the fire service' intervention.