The US military has admitted it bears significant responsibility for last month’s air strike on the Afghan border that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
A statement said US and Afghan forces acted in self defence, but conceded there had been a lack of proper co-ordination with Pakistani forces.
BBC correspondents say the admission is expected to embarrass the US military.
In retaliation for the killings, Pakistan closed its border with Afghanistan, cutting Nato supply lines.
There was no immediate response from Pakistan to the findings of the US investigation. Pakistan, a vital partner in the fight against militants in the region, has demanded a formal US apology.
In the statement the US once again expressed its deepest regret for the “tragic loss of life” caused by the air strike in Mohmand tribal agency on 26 November.
“Inadequate co-ordination by US and Pakistani military officers operating through the border co-ordination centre – including our reliance on incorrect mapping information shared with the Pakistani liaison officer – resulted in a misunderstanding about the true location of Pakistani military units,” it said.
“This, coupled with other gaps in information about the activities and placement of units from both sides, contributed to the tragic result.”
- Nana Agradaa re-arrested after being granted bail
- Election 2020: It is absolutely preposterous to think NDC didn’t collate its results – Afriyie Ankrah
- Headmaster found hanging dead from a tree behind his house in Techiman
- SSNIT OBS scandal: State sues Ernest Thompson, 4 others again
- 5 Ghanaians arrested in Dubai for smuggling weed; one jailed for 10 years
- Joe Ghartey files appeal against Sekondi High Court’s ruling
- Suspend prospecting activities in all forest reserves – Lands Minister directs
- Rastafarian case: Achimota School fails to respond to suit, case adjourned to April 30
- There’s no scientific evidence that Free SHS led to success in WASSCE – Peter Anti
- Rastafarian Saga: Achimota, all schools under GES cannot be sued – Attorney-General
CDD Ghana conducts School Performance Appraisal Meetings in Kadjebi improve quality of teaching and learning
Nyantakyi never interfered in player call-ups; leave Akonnor alone – George Afriyie tells Kurt Okraku
3 brothers, 3 Olympic berths and 9 medals – Story of the Samir family
National Best Farmer calls for introduction of agricultural ambassadors
‘We’ll invoke Alien Compliance Order to free our nation from aliens’ – Angry judge cautions Fulani man
Nana Adwoa Baafi: Navigating obstacles around progressive portrayal of women in arts
Sad state of Ghana’s only Abedi Pele monument
Over 600 persons to undergo eye surgery at Keta Municipality
Margins Group CEO shares top 10 principles
India hospital fire kills 13 amid Covid oxygen crisis
Algerian scholar gets 3 years in jail for ‘offending Islam’
Chad set for Idriss Deby’s funeral as leaders arrive
65-year-old woman escapes death as house is set ablaze over ‘witchcraft’ accusations
Election 2020: NDC pink sheets digitised
Ghana-Burkina Railway Interconnectivity project to begin 2022; 3 bidders shortlisted