Audio By Carbonatix
US and Chinese officials will hold a second day of trade talks in Spain on Monday as the deadline for the Chinese owner of TikTok to find a buyer or face a ban in America looms.
The negotiations, led by US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and Chinese Vice Premier He Lifeng, are the latest attempt to end a trade war between the world's two biggest economies.
Top level trade delegations from Beijing and Washington last met in Sweden in July, where they extended their tariffs truce by another 90 days.
After initially calling for TikTok to be banned during his first term, Trump has reversed his stance on the popular video-sharing app and delayed the ban three times so far.
Speaking to reporters on Sunday, Trump said, "We may let [TikTok] die. Or we may… I don't know. It depends. Up to China, it doesn't matter too much."
It came as expectations grow that the deadline, which is due to expire on Wednesday, will be extended for a fourth time.
Last month, Trump suggested that he would keep extending the deadline until a buyer for TikTok could be found and called national security and privacy concerns related to the app and its Chinese parent company ByteDance "highly overrated".
The BBC has contacted the White House and TikTok for comment.
The app is one of the world's most widely-used social media platforms, with around 170 million users in the US.
During this week's talks, officials are also expected to lay the groundwork for a potential meeting between Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping as soon as October, when they are scheduled to attend a summit in South Korea.
China and the US extended a tariff truce until November, reducing threatened levies that exceeded 100% on each other's goods.
The extension gives more time for negotiations about "unfair trade practices" and to address national security issues, the White House said.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
2 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
2 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
2 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
2 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
3 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
3 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
3 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
3 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
3 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
3 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
3 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
4 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
4 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
5 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
5 hours
