Audio By Carbonatix
A U.S. judge on Monday ordered Alphabet's Google to overhaul its mobile app business to give Android users more options to download apps and to pay for transactions within them, following a jury verdict last year for “Fortnite” maker Epic Games.
The injunction, by U.S. District Judge James Donato in San Francisco outlined the changes Google must undertake to open up its lucrative app store, Play, to greater competition, including making Android apps available from rival sources.
Donato's order said that for three years Google cannot prohibit the use of in-app payment methods and must allow users to download competing third-party Android app platforms or stores.
The order restricts Google from making payments to device makers to preinstall its app store and from sharing revenue generated from the Play store with other app distributors.
Google in a statement said it will appeal the verdict that led to the injunction to the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and will ask the U.S. courts to pause Donato’s order pending appeal.
"Ultimately, while these changes presumably satisfy Epic, they will cause a range of unintended consequences that will harm American consumers, developers and device makers," Google said.
Epic Chief Executive Tim Sweeney posted to the social media platform X on Monday that Donato's order was "big news" and said his Epic Games Store and other app stores will come to Google Play in 2025.
Sweeney said app developers, store makers and others have three years "to build a vibrant and competitive Android ecosystem with such critical mass that Google can't stop it."
Alphabet shares closed 2.5% lower at $164.39 on Monday, following the ruling. Donato said Epic and Google must establish a three-person technical committee to implement and monitor the injunction. Epic and Google each get a pick, and those two members will select the third person.
Donato said his injunction would go into effect on Nov. 1, which he said will give Google time to “bring its current agreements and practices into compliance.”
Epic’s lawsuit, filed in 2020, accused Google of monopolizing how consumers access apps on Android devices and how they pay for in-app transactions.
The Cary, North Carolina-based company persuaded a jury in December 2023 that Google unlawfully stifled competition through its controls over app distribution and payments, paving the way for Donato's injunction.
Google had urged Donato to reject Epic’s proposed reforms, arguing they were costly, overly restrictive and could harm consumer privacy and security. The judge mostly dismissed those arguments during an August hearing.
“You’re going to end up paying something to make the world right after having been found to be a monopolist,” he told Google's lawyers.
In a separate antitrust case in Washington, U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta on Aug. 5 ruled for the U.S. Justice Department and said Google had illegally monopolized Web search, spending billions to become the internet’s default search engine.
Google also began a trial in September in Virginia federal court in a Justice Department lawsuit over its dominance in the market for advertising technology.
Google has denied the claims in all three cases.
Latest Stories
-
Africa’s top editors converge in Nairobi to tackle media’s toughest challenges
7 minutes -
Specialised courts, afternoon sittings to tackle case delays- Judicial Secretary
10 minutes -
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
45 minutes -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
1 hour -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
1 hour -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
2 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund strengthens institutional framework with GCB Bank strategic partnership
2 hours -
UBIDS to Complete Abandoned Projects Following GETFund Financial Clearance – Vice Chancellor
3 hours -
Nii Moi Thompson questions Anokye Frimpong’s ‘distorted history’ narratives
4 hours -
Anthony O’Neal set to receive Ghanaian citizenship, prepares to launch ‘Class on the Bus’ Initiative
4 hours -
South Tongu MP inspects GH₵500,000 surgical equipment, supports District Court with logistics
4 hours -
Kpasec 2003 Year Group hosts garden party to rekindle bonds and inspire legacy giving
6 hours -
Financing barriers slowing microgrid expansion in Ghana -Energy Minister
6 hours
