Audio By Carbonatix
The U.S. State Department on Friday said it mistakenly told more than 22,000 people that they had won a special U.S. visa lottery due to a computer glitch, and that the drawing would have to be redone.
The news dashes the hopes of those who believed they were eligible for the next step in obtaining one of the coveted "green card" lottery visas and gives a second, if remote, chance to the rest of the 19.6 million people who had applied.
Because of a computer programing error, 90 percent of the winners were selected from the first two days of applications rather than from the entire 30-day registration period.
"We sincerely regret any inconvenience or disappointment this problem might have caused," David Donahue, the State Department official who oversees the program, told reporters.
He said that the problem had been fixed and the results of the new drawing from among the same 19.6 million people who applied were expected to be available around July 15.
Under the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, the U.S. government makes available some 50,000 visas each year drawn randomly to people who come from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.
The lottery gives the winners the opportunity to immigrate without having a family member or an employer sponsor them -- the typical route to a U.S. "green card" denoting permanent residency.
Donahue said the U.S. government wrote the malfunctioning computer program.
Another U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said no one will be disciplined for the error.
Source: Reuters
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
CJ dismissal of EC, SP petitions strengthens institutions – Inusah Fuseini
6 minutes -
Inusah Fuseini calls for stronger cocoa production systems
43 minutes -
Burkina Faso attack: Hajia Amenu urges support for local produce; calls for protection of women, children
49 minutes -
Freedom isn’t enough, State must protect citizens — Inusah Fuseini on sex exploitation
56 minutes -
Russian sex video: Diplomacy alone not enough, Ghana must reinforce internal security – Effia MP
2 hours -
GHS condemns attacks on staff, pledges enhanced security measures
2 hours -
Ghana must strengthen cybersecurity amid online exploitation concerns – Gloria Amenu
2 hours -
Demand TikTok remove explicit videos of victims – Gloria Amenu urges gov’t
3 hours -
Gender Ministry must provide psychological care for exploited women – Gloria Amenu
3 hours -
Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices over tariffs ruling
4 hours -
Refrain from mass marketing or public promotional campaigns on virtual assets – BoG to VASPs
5 hours -
Government bans land transit of cooking oil; orders crackdown on customs complicity
5 hours -
NPA engages industry stakeholders on 24-hour economy pilot in petroleum sector
6 hours -
Ablakwa outlines key bilateral agreements with Burkina Faso to boost trade, security and border cooperation
6 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso deepen security ties after terrorists kill 8 Ghanaians in Titao
6 hours
