The night of glitz and glam to honour the efforts of Ghanaian artistes left music fanatics in awe.
Artistes who had the opportunity to mount the stage to perform for the 22nd edition of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards experience included Joe Mettle, Diana Hamilton, Dr. Drew, Eno Barony, KiDi, Efya, Kwesi Arthur, Adina, Sarkodie among others.
Indeed many are called but few are chosen. Some performances that stood out for the night, Saturday, June 26, were those of Dr. Drew, KiDi, Sarkodie, Eno Barony and Efya.
Starting with Dr. Drew, the Highly Spiritual signee dazzled his audience with great sounds and as well as moves out of the world. From head to toe, the “E Choke” hitmaker portrayed some Michael Jackson moves and for others on social media, the spirit of Chris Brown was felt.
The zombie concept he employed was well received by many on social media. He won Best New Artiste of the year.
Top performance from Mr Drew. Man actually brought zombies to Ghana😂 #VGMA22— Sir John 🇬🇭🇳🇬 (@sirjohnnn) June 26, 2021
Rocking the stage with his “Touch it” track, KiDi set the roof on fire. From start to finish, he delivered by rendering some of his popular tracks including “Send me nudes”. What left scores on Twitter astonished was his determination to perform in a firework display.
Rapaholic Sarkodie for many will remain King Sark. His presence alone to pay tribute to Castro changed the atmopshere of the performance. He managed to get everyone standing to groove to his rhythmic raps and punches.
King sark all the way 😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/F6tTOayoIy— The_Goldenboy_Album (@ReignsSponsor) June 27, 2021
King sark to the fking wiase #VGMA22 you see how everybody stand up for the KING 🤴 HIGHEST mehn— Adjoa Slay on YouTube (@adjoaa_slay) June 27, 2021
Everybody stood up when Sarkodie entered the stage.. King Sark 👑🔥🔥🔥— ADOFO ASA ™📸🇬🇭 (@_adofoasa__) June 27, 2021
The female rapper Eno Barony also had some tricks up her sleeves. Clad in white, she brought out her A class game. Her flow, tempo and lyrics were unmatched. It is not surpirsing she is the first ever female to win the Best Rap Performance award.
Wow.."Chale girl Taya". Eno Barony was and is still a pillar when it comes to Rap in Africa.. Awards doesn't confirm whether you Taya or Taya-not.— Nii Boy (@NiiBoy3) June 27, 2021
Last but not least is Efya. The sensational singer broke the stage with her “One of your own” track that features Bisa K’dei. She did not carry out her splendid performance on her own, but with a group of choristers who provided renditions of her favorite tracks.
Her comeback for some social media users was a spectacular one that deserves accolades.
@EFYA_Nokturnal she’s the definition of performance excellence. She’s a delight to watch and listen to.— Araba (@Arabafosuah) June 27, 2021
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- I kicked out 6 social media influencers from set – Yvonne Nelson reveals
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Teacher confesses to having sex in classroom with 12-year-old, police say
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Former NSMQ ‘shark’ now lives in pain due to Bipolar disorder, needs help
- Gates Ag One supports project developing Africa’s self-fertilising crops with $35m
- Martin Kpebu recalls 18 unfulfilled promises by Akufo-Addo
- People are losing trust in government due to corruption – GII
- We steal and waste more than twice what we borrow – Kofi Bentil
- Alan admits worsening economic conditions will affect NPP’s chances in 2024 general elections
- Even Obama will have problems fighting corruption in Ghana – Kofi Bentil
- Bawku Killings: We are preparing ourselves for an explosion we can’t contain – Kofi Bentil
- We are not concerned about tradability of our bonds – Martin Kpebu replies Finance Ministry
- Government’s arrogant posturing to blame for challenges with implementation of DDEP – Alhassan Suhuyini
- My account on Bawku killings based on eye witness report – Ayariga
- Bawku killings: Families of deceased must be duly compensated – Ayariga
- US FDA says India-made eye drop linked to some infections, blindness and one death
- Murder case involving Ghanaian resident in Canada adjourned to February 16
- Court quashes suspension of Kuapa Kokoo President after months of litigation