Trabzonspor forward Abdul Majeed Waris is the latest player outside the initial 23-man list to join the Black Stars camp.
Ghana coach Avram Grant had named his squad for the opening qualifying match to the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations against Mauritius without the fit-again diminutive attacker.
Waris’ progress this past season was derailed by an injury just about the Christmas period which deprived him an opportunity to feature in Ghana’s silver medal campaign at the 2015 Afcon in Equatorial Guinea.
The former Swedish League top scorer gained fitness sometime in February but struggled to claim starting roles at his Turkish club.
Waris was handed a late call by Grant as a replacement for Chicago Fire attacker David Accam whose club have reportedly refused to release him.
Prior to Grant’s squad announcement, Chicago Fire were in doubt Accam was going to be on national team duty as they were yet to receive an invitation letter from the Ghana FA.
”We have heard nothing from Ghana officially. I guess that’s a no, unless they decide to send him [a late invite],” Fire coach Frank Yallop had told reporters a few days ago.
Meanwhile, Waris, 23, has already joined the team in training at the Jean Marc Guilliou Academy in preparations towards the game against Mauritius.
Ghana hosts Mauritius at the Accra Sports Stadium on June 14 but will first play in a test match against Togo on Monday, the 8th.
- Accra is second most expensive city in the world – Survey
- Complete abandoned E-block if you are frustrated – Akufo-Addo tells Aflao chief
- Shatta Wale remanded in police custody for one week
- Lil Win unites with Funny Face at Kaneshie District Court
- Google agrees to integrate Ghana’s GPS into Google map system – Bawumia
- ‘I made a mistake’ – Akufo-Addo apologises for Cape Coast harbour comment
- Ambassador to Italy, Eudora Quartey-Koranteng has died
- Prof Nana Aba Appiah Amfo is 1st female Vice-Chancellor of University of Ghana
- Ursula Owusu-Ekuful could be NPP’s running mate in 2024 – Kwesi Pratt hints
- Court refuses appeal challenging NCA’s decision to reduce Joy and Asempa FMs coverage area
Ghana’s high public debt is a concern to investors – Fitch Solutions
Minority to file a motion seeking answers on the state of E-block projects
Prof Kwadwo Appiagyei-Atua: Intrusion of national security details on campus a violation of academic freedom and democracy
Onion Sellers Association thank Akufo-Addo for relocation to Adjen Kotoku
World Cup Qualifiers: Ethiopia to host Ghana in Johannesburg
Stop conniving with foreign tile makers to shortchange Ghana – Mireku Duker to illegal clay miners
What makes a successful entrepreneur? – SamBoad Group CEO tells young Ghanaians
OccupyGhana’s letter to Special Prosecutor on unconstitutional time extension for public officers’ assets/liabilities declaration
MTN Group receives recognition on Fortune’s Change the World list
Ghanaian teachers are among the best in the world – Yaw Adutwum
Exports, fixed investment to contribute 0.8% to GDP in 2021 – Report
Fire guts house at Kwamo
Africa Makeup Fair, Awards slated for November
Pornhub owner settles with Girls Do Porn victims over videos
Paris Hilton pushes for US youth care abuse reform