The Nkusukum Traditional Council has denied foreknowledge of Davis Mac Iyalla as a gay activist before installing him as the Amankorahen of Yamoransa.
They have, therefore, apologised to the Regional and National Houses of Chiefs.
According to the Council, the information only got to the chiefs in the middle of the coronation, for which reason they ended the traditional process abruptly.
The Paramount Chief of Nkusukum Traditional Area, Nana Okesse Essandoh III, explained that even though it began the installation processes, the chieftaincy title was not conferred on Mr Iyalla.
The Nkusukum Traditional Area has been a subject of heavy public backlash following a viral media report that they had installed a gay activist who claimed to practice what he preached, as chief.
Speaking at a presser on Tuesday, Nana Essandoh said that he got to know Mr Iyalla as Nana Kweku Adu through some friends who introduced him as a philanthropist interested in advancing the development of Yamoransa.
He said he proceeded to inform the ‘Abusuapanyinfo’ of Yamoransa who agreed they should honour him with the Amankorahen, a development chief.
As part of the package, it became Mr Iylla’s responsibility to organise African American natives in the Diaspora for developmental projects in Yamoransa, he indicated.
“In fact, Mr Iyalla had already shown dedication and commitment to developmental issues in the town. His broader vision to lure investors from America and Europe, particularly, the United Kingdom to boost economic activities was great,” he said.
Nana Essandoh further explained that the chiefs did background checks to ascertain his eligibility for the title but there was no hint of his association with LGBTQ until the day of his coronation.
However, they found that he [Mr Davis Mac Iyalla] was a human rights activist and saw pictures and videos of him preaching in some churches in the US which gave them the assurance that he was God-fearing.
“We make it emphatically clear that no rites were performed to confer the intended ceremonial title on him,” he stressed.
“I wish to inform the National House of Chiefs, the Central Regional House of Chiefs and the General Chieftaincy Community in Ghana that the Nkusukum Traditional Council would not allow its name to be used as a platform to champion LGBTQ+ activities”.
The Paramount Chief of Nkusukum Traditional Area further stated, “any embarrassment following the aborted installation of Mr Mac Iyalla and its related issues are deeply regretted”.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Beige Bank case: Nyinaku accused of issuing misleading investment certificates to unsuspecting customers
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hints at audit
- ‘Hatred or truth’ – Woman’s message to son’s girlfriend shocks social media users
- The rising level of air pollution in West Africa
- Livestream: Parliament debates report on Akufo-Addo’s new Ministerial appointees
- Energy Ministry isn’t indebted to ECG; there was no disconnection of power supply – Egyapa Mercer
- 6-packs come with a risk of depression
- Fish farmers call for government support to address sector challenges
- Avoid appointments that give impression of jobs for boys and girls – Joyce Bawa Morgtari tells Akufo-Addo
- Man jailed 180 days for fondling minor’s breast
- Lynx signee, Kasar, releases first single ‘Oyibo’
- Cedi improves in value against dollar; $1 now ¢12.40
- NDC flagbearership race: Kwabena Duffour submits nomination forms
- Kelvynboy reveals how he benefitted from Tekno, Stefflon Don feature on ‘Down Flat’ remix
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up
- AFCON 2023Q Preview: Black Stars host Angola in Chris Hughton’s first game
- Funny Face opens up on relationship with Emmanuel Adebayor
- The Weeknd named world’s Most Popular Artist by Guinness World Records