Award-winning actor, farmer and politician, John Dumelo, says Ghana is endowed with agricultural resources, so it has no excuse to fail in the agricultural sector.
The aspiring Ayawaso Wuogon MP in the 2020 elections in a Facebook post bemoaned how the country is not taking advantage of its Agricultural gains.
“As a country, we have 10’s of 1000’s of hectares of uncultivated arable land enough to farm to feed ourselves and export. We have no excuse not to succeed in the Agric sector. We need a short, medium and long term Agric plan. We can do this!,” he said.
The actor, John Dumelo has several farms from cassava, ginger, mushroom, cows etc. just to mention a few.
Through his Agricultural exploits, he has created jobs for many individuals who gained employment to work on his farm.
One will wonder what could have made Mr Dumelo share such a post. Perhaps it is as a result of the inability of the Agriculture ministry to develop vast portions of lands cited in recent publications by Ghana News Agency (GNA) in the Upper East and North East Regions for commercial purposes in Ghana and West Africa.
It also said that data from the Ministry of Trade and Industry indicates Ghana spends more than $1 billion each year to import rice and in 2017, an amount of $1.1 billion was spent on only rice.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Finance in 2018, said food import costs the nation an average of $2.4billion annually for domestic and industrial consumption.
- 5 feared dead, 15 injured in accident on Accra-Tema motorway
- #FixTheCountry agitators have no leaders – Barker-Vormawor
- Wesley Girls’ SHS ‘no fasting” policy, strictly for health reasons – Old students
- Ghana’s 4x100m men’s relay team set to pitch camp in Europe ahead of Olympics
- Woman allegedly murders elder sister over a piece of land
- Companies continue to export rosewood to China despite ban – Inusah Fuseini
- Ramadan: UDS Dean of Education condemns Wesley Girls SHS management
- Over 200 police personnel deployed to enforce mining directives across Ghana
- Claims of fasting affecting health unfounded – Islamic Medical Association, Ghana
- Seek economic assistance from IMF to save economy from troubles – Finance Lecturer
Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa: Earlier generations used our secondary school system to foster unity
CAF postpones FIFA World Cup African qualifiers
Australian mother convicted of killing her 4 children petitions for a pardon
NSMQ 2021: Presec beats Achimota, Chemu and Odorgonno SHS to be crowned Regional Champions
Ghana Rising: Outlook on Ghana’s promising future as a 21st Century economy
GNAT urged to provide affordable housing scheme for teachers
I have been running from the Elder position for almost 3years – Sam George
263 died through road accidents in April alone – MTTD reveals
Chelsea “feel good” about facing Man City in Champions League final – Thomas Tuchel
Kofi Tweneboah: #FixTheCountry – This is your chance to take a stand, fellow youth
Playback: NSMQ 2021: Legon Presec, Achimota and Odorgonno battle for Greater Accra Regional supremacy
Bright Simons joins Salzburg Global’s Board of Directors
Don’t depend on your children when you retire, it’s a “money mistake” – EDC boss
#FixTheCountry: Any Ghanaian who has a problem with campaign must have citizenship revoked – Sam George
MoE and GES should provide standardised code of conduct to address religious challenges on SHS campuses – IFEST