Audio By Carbonatix
Deputy Attorney General Alfred Tuah-Yeboah says his outfit is working to extradite the former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Microfinance and Small Loans Centre (MASLOC), Sedina Tamakloe-Attionu to serve her sentence.
This comes after she was sentenced to 10 years in prison with hard labour for causing financial loss to the state.
Also, the former Chief Operating Officer of MASLOC, Daniel Axim, has been handed a five-year jail term with hard labour.
The two were found guilty on 78 counts relating to causing financial loss to the state, theft, conspiracy to steal, money laundering, and contravening public procurement laws.
Speaking to the media after Mrs Tamakloe-Attionu's conviction, the Deputy AG said that the process to extradite the former MASLOC CEO had already begun before the court sentence on Tuesday.
Although the process had hit a few obstacles along the way, Mr Tuah-Yeboah believes that the judgement delivered will help fast-track the process.
“What is refreshing is that she will be brought down to face justice. In Ghana, we have various laws, you can choose to stay away but so far as we have laws relating to how we can extradite you from one country to Ghana, be rest assured that she will be brought down to face justice,” he added.
Mr Tuah-Yeboah said that the AG’s office is pleased with the sentence and assured the public that there will soon be news of Mrs Tamakloe-Attionu’s return to Ghana.
The trial which began in 2019, saw six witnesses called by the state. Sedina Tamakloe-Attionu was tried in absentia as she absconded after obtaining court permission for a medical check-up abroad. Daniel Axim testified in person but did not present any witnesses.
The convictions stem from misappropriation of funds allocated for MASLOC activities between 2013 and 2016.
In one instance, the convicts withdrew GH₵500,000 as a loan from Obaatampa Savings and Loans company, demanding a refund when the institution refused to provide a 24% interest rate.
Although evidence of the refund was presented, it was not reflected in MASLOC's accounts.
The duo was also found guilty of misappropriating over GH¢1.7 million allocated for a sensitisation exercise, with only a fraction of the funds used for the intended purpose. Similarly, funds disbursed for victims of a fire incident at Kantamanso were not fully distributed, with a significant portion misappropriated by the accused.
The case also involved the purchase of vehicles and Samsung phones for MASLOC, with funds exceeding market prices at the time.
Despite being bought in bulk, evidence suggested that the amounts paid were higher than prevailing market rates.
Latest Stories
-
Alleged sexual assault by local official and businessman sparks outrage in China
20 minutes -
Six injured as Toyota Corolla plunges into Birim river at Biremso
21 minutes -
Thai teen found in suitcase died from suffocation, police reveal
23 minutes -
GSE equities index surges 73% as trading activity soars
25 minutes -
Black Stars defender Abdul Mumin joins Girona FC
29 minutes -
Understanding Ghana’s new Integrated Tax Administration System (ITAS)
47 minutes -
Wontumi’s bail application hearing adjourned to October 15
56 minutes -
Jerry Afriyie completes permanent move to Genk
1 hour -
Chinese robotics giant Unitree soars in stock market debut
1 hour -
Official: Sevilla unveil Ghanaian winger Emmanuel Abrokwa on long-term deal
2 hours -
Eric Tinkler motivated by challenge of improving Kotoko
2 hours -
Today’s front pages: Wednesday, August 19, 2026
2 hours -
‘You can’t improve players on pitches like this’ – Kotoko coach Tinkler
3 hours -
Petroleum Commission says regulatory reviews have saved Ghana US$2.2bn
3 hours -
Prosecution of former NPP appointees not political persecution – Mustapha Gbande
3 hours