The 2020-21 season is two weeks away as teams round up preparations for the new season.
One of which is Arsenal, who just defeated Liverpool on penalties to win the Community Shield . But victory in the Community Shield has always held significance in terms of the turn of events in the subsequent season.
This time, it’s with regard to which team finishes in the top four. Believe it or not, winning the FA Community Shield has had a glorified influence on the top 4 chances of the side.
Since 2000, only three teams have failed to make the top four after winning the season’s curtain raiser, with United appearing twice. Chelsea and Arsenal are the other two clubs.
Chelsea in 2000 beat Manchester United 2-0 in the Community Shield final and finished sixth the following season. Manchester United defeated Wigan Athletic 2-0 in 2013 only to finish seventh the next season. In 2016, the Red Devils once again won the trophy after beating Leicester City 2-1 and ended up sixth the subsequent season. 2017 saw Arsenal defeat rivals Chelsea on penalties before finishing sixth that season.
Well, those were the four moments a team failed to finish in the top four after winning the Community Shield trophy. However, that number becomes thin in the bigger scheme of things, because the remaining 16 winners made the top four the following season.
That adds up to an 80% chance of finishing in the top four next season for Mikel Arteta’s men. If history in the last 20 years is anything to go by, whatever be the case, Arsenal will finish higher than last season since no winner has finished below seventh.
It’s also worth to note that no side had managed to win the Premier League after lifting the Community Shield trophy since 2010-11 before Pep Guardiola’s City broke that curse two years ago.
It’s possible Arsenal could break this positive omen themselves, but there is new energy at the Emirates under Arteta and Arsenal will be certainly looking to make the dream of finishing in the top top four a reality next season.
- My wife has left me because of my child with another woman – Osofo Kyiri Abosom
- The Fourth Estate uncovers fraud in SHS computerised placement
- Full video: SHS computerised placement for sale
- New chief falls from palanquin during coronation in Central Region
- 8 persons arrested in ‘School placement for sale’ exposé
- Officials of China Mall, Shoprite, Palace Mall picked up for tax violations
- WAEC explains BECE grading system
- 3 grabbed for pulling down storey building at Cantonments
- Haruna led Minority leadership had challenges working with Bagbin – Asiedu Nketia
- Assault on Latif Iddrisu: No policeman touched him – Attorney General
- We were denied CSSPS data to check public basic schools placement quota – Eduwatch
- GRA taskforce arrests five shopping malls managers for tax infractions
- Ghana free from sleeping sickness
- Forestry Commission demobilises excavator in Atewa Forest
- Emmanuel Owusu: Proposals to operationalise Ghana Financial Stability Fund (GFSF)
- Minority reshuffle: We didn’t consult Caucus for good reasons – Asiedu Nketia
- Chelsea transfer news: Blues bid £105.6m for Enzo Fernandez
- Mr Eazi featured in new star-studded #Boss Campaign
- I Am Investible launches project to create 20k jobs
- Finance Minister’s assurance on DDE welcoming – Individual Bondholders Forum Convenor
- African Development Bank approves $50m and €50m to develop agricultural value chains, improve food security
- ‘We Are One’ promo: The Osei Kuffuors emerge winners of first episode
- DDEP: There will be no punitive action for self-exemption – Individual Bondholders Forum
- Playback: PM Express discuss ‘School Placement for Sale’ documentary
- David Abagna completes move to Sudanese side Al Hilal