The curtains came down on an historic 2022 FIFA World Cup tournament in Qatar with Argentina crowned Champions of the World for the 3rd time in their history.
Lionel Messi scored twice in a pulsating game where French star Kylian Mbappe netted a hat-trick, the first World Cup final hat-trick since Geof Hurst’s in 1966, and still ended up on the losing side.
After a 3-3 draw following extra-time, Argentina won the penalty shoot-out 4-2, thanks mostly to the heroics of their goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez, who followed a crucial extra-time save with another from the shoot-out.
Martinez was voted ‘Best Goalkeeper of the Tournament’ and thus, awarded with the Golden Glove trophy.
Messi, who became the first player to score at every round of a FIFA World Cup tournament, was adjudged the Best Player of the Tournament and handed the Golden Ball.
Mbappe was crowned the 2nd Best Player and Croatia’s Luka Modric took home the Bronze Ball for the 3rd Best Player.
Mbappe, did win a trophy with gold though, picking up the Golden Boot, the trophy awarded to the top scorer, with his 8 goals of the tournament.
Argentina’s Benfica midfielder, Enzo Fernandez, was voted the Best Young Player of the Tournament for the crucial part he played in Argentina’s run to winning the title.
- Gospel musician accuses police of killing her brother in a scuffle over cash
- Afia Schwarzenegger fined GH¢60k in contempt case
- South Africa calls on MTN, Ghana to resolve $773m tax dispute
- Deadline for Domestic Debt Exchange Programme extended to Feb 7
- Assault of Latif: Attorney General begs for time to pursue settlement talks
- Minority leadership rancour is a needless distraction – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- Debt Exchange: NIC to suspend minimum capital requirements, CAR of insurance firms for 2 years
- Chicago prosecutor drops R Kelly’s sex-abuse charges
- Leicester City sign Ghanaian youngster Nathan Opoku
- Ghana places 72nd, stagnates in 2022 Corruption Perceptions Index
- Housemate to be charged over murder of LGBTQ activist
- Idris Elba in talks to open film studio in Tanzania
- Nigeria election 2023: The oil land with no electricity
- Pope in DR Congo: ‘Hands off Africa’ says Pope Francis in Kinshasa speech
- Empire Builders staff appeal to government to protect them, prevent sale of their lands
- Jorginho moves from Chelsea to the Gunners in a deal worth £12m
- Chelsea agree British record £106m fee for Benfica midfielder Enzo Fernandez
- DDE: State regulators accommodating fiscal slippages is what has brought us here – Prof. Bokpin
- “He Only tried to get the best of his trip” – Stonebwoy on Meek Mill Jubilee House video
- Paramount Chief of Sunyani, queen mother cited for contempt of court
- DDE: Don’t fret, you can self-exempt – Senyo Hosi to individual bondholders
- Nathan Aidoo: An interview with Yaw Nsarkoh
- SIGA targets 25% contribution to GDP by SOEs in 2023
- First male principal leads St. Monica’s College of Education
- Education Minister to appear before Education Committee of Parliament over ‘Placement for Sale’ documentary