Syria scored an injury-time equaliser to earn a 2-2 draw against Iran and keep alive their hopes of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
The visitors took a shock lead through Tamer Haj Mohamad's stooping header – the first goal Carlos Queiroz's Iran had conceded in 10 qualifying games.
But on the stroke of half-time, Sardar Azmoun headed Iran level before giving them a second-half lead.
Syria looked to be heading out, but Omar Al Somah coolly slotted home.
South Korea's goalless draw with Uzbekistan allowed them to claim second place in Group A in the Asian section and automatic progression to Russia.
It means Syria will face Australia in a playoff in October, before having to face a Concacaf side in another two-legged tie the following month for a place at the World Cup.
BBC Radio 5 live sports news correspondent Richard Conway:
The dream of Russia 2018 is still alive. They are into a play-off now.
We went over to Syria for BBC Sport earlier in the year and spent six days in Damascus and discovered a truly remarkable story.
Syria is in the middle of a six-year war and the team has no money because of the sanctions. Lots of Syrians have mixed emotions about supporting the team. Some, but by no means all, feel that the team rises above politics.
The fact they are in contention for the World Cup is remarkable given what is stacked against them and they have a remarkable team spirit.
They play their home games in Malaysia, which is a 14,000-mile round trip, and where they will play the home leg of their play-off match.
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 2 more people
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Whip
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- 2 sustain gunshot wounds at mining firm in Samreboi
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- Woman kills former landlord with hammer, steals $40k through forged checks
- Labour MP suspended, apologises after calling Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng ‘superficially’ black
- Video of alleged ‘galamsey’ men in gun battle with authorities emerges on social media
- GRA set to roll out E-invoicing from tomorrow October 1
- US-based Oakley signs agreement with Benjamin Azamati
- 16 suspects arrested over shooting incident at Asaman Tamfoe
- Ivory Coast raises cocoa farmgate price by 9% for 2022/2023 harvest
- Pact with Rabat is in force and being implemented – Head of Spanish Diplomacy
- Good Morning America celebrates Ghana as host Robin Roberts explores the country
- MultiChoice teams up with BetKing to launch SuperPicks for new football season
- Ed Sheeran must face copyright trial over Thinking Out Loud, judge rules
- ‘Skills 4 Success’ trains teachers in digital skills
- Black Panther’s Danai Gurira, Robin Roberts tour Accra on Good Morning America segment
- ‘I predicted my goal against Czech Republic in 2006’ – Asamoah Gyan
- Let’s build capacities of SMEs to harness full potential of e-commerce – GIZ