Audio By Carbonatix
The government is in the final stages of constructing 185 housing units for public servants in the Ashanti Region, replacing existing bungalows on lands returned to the Asantehene through an Executive Instrument.
In 2022, 400 acres of state lands in Kumasi's Ridge Residential Area were released to Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, following the issuance of Executive Instrument 432 of 2021 for the Redevelopment of Sector 18 of Kumasi.
“The revested land contains both privately-owned properties to be maintained and state bungalows to be relocated to the area retained by the Government. All leaseholders of private and public residential and other properties within the revested area are also to attorn tenancy to the Asantehene,” the letter released at the time read.
Speaking in an interview with JoyNews’ Nana Yaw Gyimah on May 10, the Ashanti Regional Lands Officer, Peter Osei-Wusu revealed that this decision was because no compensation was provided for lands acquired during the colonial era, prompting the government to allocate half of the lands back to the Asantehene.
“So His Majesty made a legitimate appeal that some of these lands should be returned to him. But he should have taken all because compensation was not paid. The government decided that we should keep half and then give half to his majesty,” he said.
He noted that since the acquisition of the lands by the Ashanti King, the government began the construction of state bungalows that were demolished as a result of the acquisition.
The construction of new facilities to replace the 116 state bungalows is at the advanced stages of completion with approximately 200 units expected upon completion.
Mr Osei-Wusu said that to finance the project, part of the lands retained by the government were allocated to private developers in exchange for housing construction.
“So you come put up a number of bungalows for us and then we give you land, that is what we have been doing. So in all, we are taking about 200 units. We have gone through Ghana Institution of Surveyors for value for money and then we've been to Public Procurement Authority. They've given approval for all these contractors to commence construction,” he said.
Mr Osei-Wusu added that the government is not shortchanged in the deal stating “the land values are around $600,000 an acre and then we match it against the cost of construction.”
Meanwhile, the Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah expects the homes to be ready for occupancy by the end of this year.
Latest Stories
-
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
25 seconds -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
30 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
33 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
58 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
1 hour -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
6 hours