Audio By Carbonatix
The aftermath of the horrific explosion that happened at Apeatse, near Bogoso in the Western Region is still being felt.
Thursday's incident occurred when a truck conveying mining explosives collided with a motorcycle and a third vehicle, close to an electricity transformer.
As a result, the town was reduced to rubble in the blast, killing some inhabitants and injuring many.
So far, over 500 homes were affected by the blast. 17 people were confirmed dead by the Information Ministry, with about 59 injured as of 5 pm on Thursday.
But updates coming from the region indicate that the casualties could increase.
The number of injured people now stands at 85, according to a journalist with Tarkwah-based Dynamite FM, Thomas Tetteh.
Speaking on Joy FM after a visit to the Bogoso Health Centre, he explained that a baby was among the deceased.
"When I got to Bogoso Health Centre I realized that there were 11 people who died. 9 males, 1 female and a 15 month-old baby," he said.
The baby is the youngest on record to have succumbed to the blast.
“At Bogoso, 25 people had also been treated and discharged as of 8:30PM when I got there. Another 25 that were brought were transferred to the Tarkwa Municipal Hospital for further treatment because their injuries were so severe.
"Together with another person who was transferred to the Prestea government hospital who had hearing problems as a result of the explosion," Thomas narrated.
At the Apinto Government Hospital in Tarkwa, another baby which was brought to the centre was treated.
"I later got wind that they have been able to get through to the parent so we are yet to meet them this morning. But the baby is doing well."
This is according to the Clinical Coordinator at the facility, Dr Joseph Darko who explained: "another pregnant woman sustained a metal cut that went deep into the thigh."
The medical officer, however, said "she was lucky that it was just the thigh and not the chest and abdomen, it would have been disastrous."
Speaking on Joy FM on Friday, he also revealed that arrangements are being made to airlift some of the patients with severe conditions to Accra for advanced treatment.
Dr Darko also highlighted the need for psychological help for the victims as part of recovery efforts.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
2 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
2 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
2 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
2 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
3 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
3 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
3 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
3 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
3 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
3 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
4 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
4 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
4 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
5 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
5 hours
