Audio By Carbonatix
Hundreds of former workers of the Bogoso-Prestea Mines are demanding immediate government intervention, alleging that the new operators, Heath Gold Fields (HGF), have failed to honour outstanding redundancy payments and entitlements despite the mine becoming operational.
The workers, representing an estimated 400 former employees, claim that their initial optimism about the handover has been replaced by despair, as the new management has proven unable or unwilling to meet their financial obligations, contrary to a direct ultimatum from the sector Minister.
Broken Promises and Financial Incompetence
Speaking on JoyNews' AM Show, Gabriel Madobi, Convenor of the Former Workers of the Bogoso Prestea-Mines Union, detailed the background of their plight.
It followed a charged press conference held at the Ghana International Press Centre on Wednesday, November 19, 2025.
Payment of severance or redundancy packages, leave balances, provident funds, and end-of-contract benefits are all outstanding.
He explained that the workforce had previously advocated for the removal of the former operator, Future Global Resources (FGR), citing their lack of financial capacity to turn the mine around.

This led to a sense of relief when HGF took over, especially since the sector Minister had made the payment of outstanding arrears a prerequisite for resuming operations.
“All of us were crying to have someone who is well capable of, I mean, operating the mine. So when Heath Gold Fields came into the picture, we said, ‘okay, that's nice,’ but the minister told you that before you start the mine, pay all the entitlements and all the arrears to the former workers before you start.”
The Capacity Crisis: Is HGF Financially Competent?
Kwame Kyei Addo, a former worker, echoed the community's initial welcome of the new management, who were supposedly vetted for financial and technical competence after the previous lease was terminated on grounds of being "financially incompetent".
However, Mr. Addo stated the current failure to pay has led to a major loss of confidence amidst hardship for ex-workers.
“The basis of our call and the reason why this issue is becoming alarming is that somebody who is proven to be financially competent is unable to pay us our full entitlement, even beyond the fact that the minister has given an ultimatum for the company to pay us our full entitlement."
He concluded that the company's continuous failure to settle debts suggests a hidden crisis.
Mr. Addo stressed that their disengagement requires the immediate settlement of all outstanding benefits.
The Plea: Government Must 'Write the Wrongs'
The former workers, numbering "a little over 300 or 400", are home without income, having hoped to protect the mine's assets as "essential workers" until the new management took over.
Both Mr Madobi and Mr Addo issued a final, desperate appeal to the government:
"What we are telling the government is that it is not too late. The government should sit down, go back to the drawing board and write the wrongs. The government has to investigate the capacity of Heath’s Gold Fields and look at bringing somebody who has the competence financially to run the operation so we can all have peace," Mr Addo emphasised.
"We are calling for the government and the sector minister to step in and bring someone capable to run the mine for us because Bogoso mine is the largest concession that we have in Ghana... We have to eat. I mean, our kids have dropped out of school. I mean, for health care, they (the ex-workers) are not able to access just healthcare and education. Meanwhile, the company owes them," Mr Madobi stressed.
Latest Stories
-
CDSU marks milestones in Global Diplomatic Education and Institutional Evolution
2 minutes -
Of 5,000 hectares and 5,000 acres: The ‘small matter’ of land size for Petroleum Hub project
11 minutes -
Man killed in Bibiani-Asawinso galamsey clash, site owner arrested
18 minutes -
Lack of basic educational facilities threatens quality learning at Bueko School
18 minutes -
Over 16 NPP members arrested over social media commentary – Oppong Nkrumah alleges
21 minutes -
Mahama gov’t has failed faster than expected – Annoh-Dompreh fires at NDC
21 minutes -
Mining sector delivers over GH₵2bn in royalties for quarter one 2026 – MIIF
25 minutes -
Tamale Central MP begins borehole project to tackle water crisis
28 minutes -
Ashanti health authorities raise alarm over hypertension threat
30 minutes -
The Law Institute rebrands as Ghana’s hub for legal and compliance training
31 minutes -
Photos: President Mahama delivers keynote address at 79th World Health Assembly
31 minutes -
AMA denies forceful eviction claims over Makola market redevelopment
32 minutes -
AFCON 2027Q: Black Stars drawn in Group C, face Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia and Somalia
34 minutes -
VRA Academy targets engineering skills gap through ECREE Regional Training programme
37 minutes -
Africa poised to lead in global digital finance evolution – MTN Group CEO
44 minutes