The Takoradi Circuit Court A, presided over by His Honour Michael Kudjoe Amapadu has sentenced three farmers who gang robbed a couple in Koo Boi a village in Anyinasi North in the Ellembele District of the Western Region to a total of 56 years imprisonment.
The accused; Gambo Abanga 36, Kofi Bila 41, and Seidu Anaba 29, robbed Jacob Niibang and his wife, Ladi Niibang on December 25, 2020, at about 10:30 pm.
They took cash amounting to GHC800.00 and an Itel smartphone valued at GHC420.00.
Two of the accused persons; Gambo and Kofi Billa were arrested the next day after the incident when one of the victims spotted them at a nearby village relishing themselves.
The other accused person, Seidu was arrested two days after the robbery.
The Court after the full trial of the case sentenced the three.
Gamba Abanga and Seidu Anaba were both given 18 years jail sentence, while Kofi Bila was given a 20-year jail term totaling 56 years.
The judge explained that Kofi Bila was given 20-years jail sentence because he failed to co-operate during investigations and pleaded not guilty. However, during cross examination and his testimony, he indicated he was guilty.
According to the court, the accused persons offences were in contravention of section 149 of the Criminal Offenses Act 1960 (Act 29).
The Presiding Judge ended his ruling with a quotation from James 2: 13 for the three convicts saying “For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment”.
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- You are on your own – John Kumah tells bondholders who reject debt exchange programme
- GMA rejects debt exchange programme
- Moody’s downgrades GCB Bank due to debt restructuring
- Black Sherif is the voice of African youth – Akon
- World Cup: Rating every member of Ghana’s squad
- Akufo-Addo commissions Afienya Road Over Bridge on Tema-Mpakadan Railway line
- Dashboard: Mobile money transactions in Ghana
- Financial Stability Council pledges to closely monitor impacts of Debt Exchange Programme; ¢15bn fund to be set up
- Mahama appeals for ¢10 to support NDC congress
- 796 flee Burkina Faso to Sissala West communities for fear of attack
- We only approved policy principle of 2023 Budget; not the taxes – Minority
- 81 aspirants vie for 14 national executive positions in NDC
- NPA to seek cabinet support to remove taxes on LPG
- Claims that female babies develop speech faster than males is a myth – Language Therapist
- Consensus key to sustainability of the debt exchange programme – ISSER to government
- I’ve been given over ¢100k ‘haircut’ on my investment – Franklin Cudjoe
- Mozambique ex-president’s son, others jailed for 12 years for corruption
- GWCL to cut water supply to parts of Accra
- Philip Afeti Korto: Grey hair, a sign of wisdom or ageing?
- Busy Signal to perform at Stonebwoy’s Bhim Concert in Ghana
- Government plan to cut interest costs gets pushback from local funds