Audio By Carbonatix
Figures released by the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) have confirmed the view of critics who described the Local Organising Committee (LOC) of the Ghana 2008 and the Ministry of Tourism's projection of one million visitors during the tournament
period, as unrealistic.
Total arrivals as at last week (January 23) has been put at only 7,094 but an industry analyst told the dailyEXPRESS that it is a good enough figure, considering that the country did not engage in any international tourism promotion activities prior to the tournament.
Critics had challenged and questioned government's basis for the 1m projection, but officials including Deputy Information Minister Frank Agyekum insisted that reports of hotels being overbooked is enough indication of the multitude that will be converging in Ghana.
With four stadiums that could take a maximum of 120,000 spectators, it was always a wonder whether the 1m visitors being talked about were going to be in Accra to watch the game from TV sets.
The projection was the more intriguing when it became clear that both the LOC and the tourism ministry had not activated any marketing campaigns outside of Ghana to promote the country's tourism sites and the entertainment activities (if any) that visitors to the country could enjoy.
Akin to the worrying perception in 2007 that the mere fact Ghana was celebrating its G n Jubilee, tourists will flood try, officials lived under the false impression that people would decide to come to Ghana just because there is a tournament.
The figures from the GIS may not shock those who never believed in the 1m projection like Professor Albert Bane of the Geography & Tourism Department of the University of Cape Coast.
In an interview with the dailyEXPRESS, he wondered what benchmarks were used in determining the projection, noting that while there will be visitors, the 1m projection is ambitious.
According to him, the Department contacted the LOC to provide services relating to how the country can maximise the opportunity of hosting the tournament through tourism.
But the LOC did not acknowledge the proposal submitted.
In the wake of the 'disappointing' arrivals, hotel owners who were made to believe that business will be booming, have started complaining about low patronage.
Some hotel owners told The Chronicle newspaper in Kumasi that contrary to assurances given them, their facilities are not being patronised.
"Some of them were, therefore, forced to embark on massive renovations and expansions of their facilities, but indications are that their expectations might not be met, because most of their facilities were yet to be booked" wrote The Chronicle in its Friday January 25, 2008 edition.
Interestingly, the Ashanti regional manager of the Ghana Tourist Board Bernard Nsiah is reported that the hotel owners cannot blame the LOC because their responsibility was toward the provision of hotels for teams and officials.
The hotel owners are however arguing that but for the assurances given them and the workshops organised to let them know that there will be lots of people arriving; they wouldn't have spent lots of money expanding their facilities.
It wasn't only hotel and hospitality owners who rushed to take advantage of the expected 1m visitors, even the GIS got to work in readiness for the large number of people.
Source: dailyExpress
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Iranian Embassy in Ghana responds to the remarks of the Israeli Ambassador to Ghana
34 seconds -
GNFS confirms six deaths, seven injured in Accra-Nsawam highway petrol tanker fire
20 minutes -
President Mahama commissions new Ghana embassy chancery in Addis Ababa
29 minutes -
Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu questions timing of OSP investigation into alleged vote buying in NPP Presidential Primary
31 minutes -
Photos: Dreams FC suffer 1-0 defeat at home to Karela
37 minutes -
Ghana needs clear policy to tackle galamsey, our past methods fell short – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
42 minutes -
Mahama pushes urgent rollout of Pan-African payment system at AU Summit
46 minutes -
AGA Obuasi Mine and partners inspire girls at Asare Bediako SHS to pursue careers in STEM
48 minutes -
Ashanti Regional Minister inaugurates Spatial Planning Committees, unveils plan to restore Kumasi’s green glory
57 minutes -
AI-driven technology set to boost farmers’ productivity and cut seed losses in Ghana
58 minutes -
Early polls are misleading – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu on Ghana’s 2028 elections
1 hour -
Black Princesses arrive in Ghana after victory over South Africa
1 hour -
NPP primaries: Gideon Boako reconciles opposing camps in Tano North
1 hour -
‘We will prepare ourselves to outweigh Uganda’ – Black Princesses coach Charles Sampson
1 hour -
Dr Bawumia can bounce back to win Ghana’s 2028 presidency – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
1 hour
