Audio By Carbonatix
Six explosions were reported in the Eritrean capital, Asmara, late on Saturday, according to the US State Department.
"At 10:13 pm on November 28, there were six explosions in Asmara," the state department said on Twitter, although the cause and location were not clear.
There has been no immediate comment from either Eritrean government officials or Tigrayan forces, although claims by both sides over the ongoing conflict have so far been difficult to verify.
Tigrayan forces fighting Ethiopian soldiers have previously fired rockets at Eritrea.
Earlier on Saturday, Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed announced that federal forces had taken "full control" of Tigray's capital Mekelle within hours of launching an offensive there.
The Tigrayan People's Liberation Front (TPLF), a political party whose fight against the government began on 4 November, said it was withdrawing from Mekelle.
Thousands of people have fled across the Ethiopian border with Sudan since the fighting erupted in the region.
Nearly a million people have been displaced, including more than 40,000 who fled into Sudan. Camps home to 96,000 Eritrean refugees in northern Tigray have been in the line of fire.
The conflict, a long-running power struggle between Addis Ababa and Tigray's leaders, has spread beyond, with the TPLF firing rockets into both the neighbouring Amhara region and across the border to Eritrea.
Mr Abiy's government has repeatedly said it is only targeting TPLF leaders and facilities to restore law and order after they rose up against federal troops. It denies hitting civilians.
The TPLF says Mr Abiy has "invaded" its region to dominate it and is inflicting "merciless" damage on Tigrayans.
Latest Stories
-
Benatia leaves Marseille amid ‘growing dissatisfaction’
38 minutes -
Captain Van Dijk wants ‘so important’ Salah to stay
47 minutes -
SMS must deliver in 5 seconds – NCA issues new mobile service targets
57 minutes -
NCA orders telcos to extend network coverage beyond district capitals
1 hour -
African Union summit clouded by Saudi-UAE rivalry in Horn of Africa
2 hours -
No more excuses – NCA rolls out stricter mobile service standards
2 hours -
Call drops must fall below 1% – NCA raises bar for telcos
2 hours -
China to implement zero tariffs on imports from 53 African countries
4 hours -
Tunisian police detain opposition figure Olfa Hamdi at airport
5 hours -
US deports 9 to Cameroon despite court protections, NYT says
5 hours -
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
5 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
5 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
5 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
6 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
6 hours
