Audio By Carbonatix
Some victims of the devastating fire that ravaged the Adum area in Kumasi have issued a public apology to the Interior Minister, Muntaka Mubarak, after they rejected an aid package intended to support their recovery efforts.
The aid, which included 1,500 bags of rice and 800 boxes of soap and cooking oil, was initially provided by the Minister and NADMO to alleviate the suffering of those affected by the fire.
The rejection of the aid, which caused a stir, stemmed from concerns raised by the victims about the quality and appropriateness of the items provided.
Some affected traders expressed disappointment over the government’s response to their urgent needs, arguing that the relief items were insufficient or did not meet their immediate requirements.
But after 24hours, some of the fire victims acknowledged that their response to the aid package had been inappropriate and expressed regret for any misunderstanding or negative impressions caused.
In a statement, the leadership of the Bluelight Traders Association emphasized that their frustrations were as a result of the immense hardship they had endured following the fire and not an intentional act of defiance or disrespect toward the government’s efforts.
“We sincerely apologize to Hon. Muntaka for this regrettable occurrence, believing strongly that this action was a result of misunderstanding and miscommunication among some members.
“In distressing times like these, frustrations and emotions can run high, sometimes leading to unintended expressions of displeasure.
However, such conduct does not represent the values or intentions of the association as a whole,” their statement said.
This is contrary to earlier claims made by the Asawasi MP’s Secretary in a press release accusing JoyNews of misreporting the incident.
The statement said that the rejection of the aid did not happen as reported alleging that JoyNews skewed its report. But the apology by the traders confirms otherwise.
Earlier, NADMO Boss, Dr Joseph Kuyon, defended the decision by the Interior Minister, Muntaka Mubarak, to deliver 1,500 bags of rice and 800 boxes of oil and soap to victims of the fire incident at Adum in Kumasi, after the items were initially rejected.
He justified the intervention, explaining that the donated items were procured with urgency to provide immediate relief.
Latest Stories
-
J.J. Rawlings Foundation mourns the death of June 4 uprising figure Sgt. Peter Tasiri
19 minutes -
Third round of Russia-Ukraine talks to take place as strikes continue
26 minutes -
Kofi Asmah: Cocoa prices, turbulence and the cost of true leadership
28 minutes -
Women in Russian man videos scandal not cheap – Issifu Ali
38 minutes -
Cedi safe amid digital asset growth – BoG
46 minutes -
Photos: EPA busts 14 containers of illegal mining machines at Tema Port
52 minutes -
Harmonious Chorale to represent Africa in Poland and Sweden as it kicks off 20th-anniversary celebrations
53 minutes -
We can’t wait forever for AfCFTA – AGI demands alternative regional trade access
56 minutes -
The Drama of Cocoa politics: When farmers become puppets
56 minutes -
CSIR-BRRI advocates use of local materials in production to reduce cement prices
58 minutes -
Three miners killed in rock collapse at Gbane
1 hour -
Awudome, Osu cemeteries not full — Managers
1 hour -
Africa’s grand stage of honour: Why Ghana hosts POTY 2026
1 hour -
Hillary Clinton accuses Trump administration of a ‘cover-up’ over its handling of Epstein documents
2 hours -
Project C.U.R.E begins 10-day assessment to support Ghana Medical Trust Fund’s NCD fight
2 hours
