Audio By Carbonatix
The Deputy Attorney General has revealed that investigators probing ghost names in the National Service Scheme (NSS) have submitted a damning report identifying 22 individuals responsible for the alleged theft of over GH¢560 million.
Dr Justice Srem Sai, speaking on JoyNews’ PM Express on Wednesday, disclosed that this is just one part of a broader investigation into financial irregularities at the Scheme.
“National Service is in different aspects,” he explained. “There’s an aspect of the projects the secretariat undertakes. They have farms where they acquire property, grow and sell produce. Then there’s the issue of paying ghost National Service persons.”
The investigators, he said, have so far only completed their work on the ghost names.
“It was submitted last week by the investigators. We have started building a docket on that.”
That specific report, he confirmed, implicates 22 individuals. “When the investigators came, they identified 22 accused persons for the ghost names part.”
The total amount of money involved is staggering. “We are talking about over GHS560 million. That’s what we are looking at from the 22 individuals that investigators believe were responsible for, if you like, alleged loot.”
But even as the prosecution team begins work on the docket, Dr Srem Sai revealed that not all those accused may end up in court.
“You have to weigh the cost in terms of time, effort of bringing all these people to court, and the benefit you get of retrieving the money,” he said.
Some of the suspects, he added, have already shown a willingness to cooperate.
“A lot of them — only a few are not willing — but a lot of them are willing to return the money.”
Furthermore, some are offering to become prosecution witnesses. “Some of them have shown a desire to return the money and to serve as what, prosecution witnesses against the rest.”
This means the number of people eventually charged will likely drop.
“Before we go to court, the number will not be 22. It will come down, because we are still having a conversation with these people.”
He also confirmed that plea bargaining is on the table for some of the accused.
“After we charge them, they also have an opportunity to do what we call plea bargaining. To come and say, ‘Well, we are guilty. But instead of sending us to prison for this number of years, you can come down to this, and we return this amount of money.'”
Dr Srem Sai said these talks allow the accused to make a case for leniency in exchange for money and testimony.
“They give us the reasons why we should not go with them through the entire process.”
He emphasised that the ghost names investigation is only one part of a larger set of probes. More reports are expected on other schemes run by the National Service Secretariat.
For now, though, the focus is on securing recovery and ensuring justice, one conversation at a time, he stated.
Latest Stories
-
Nii Moi Thompson questions Anokye Frimpong’s ‘distorted history’ narratives
26 minutes -
Anthony O’Neal set to receive Ghanaian citizenship, prepares to launch ‘Class on the Bus’ Initiative
28 minutes -
South Tongu MP inspects GH₵500,000 surgical equipment, supports District Court with logistics
1 hour -
Kpasec 2003 Year Group hosts garden party to rekindle bonds and inspire legacy giving
3 hours -
Financing barriers slowing microgrid expansion in Ghana -Energy Minister
3 hours -
Ghana’s Ambassador to Italy Mona Quartey presents Letters of Credence to Pres. Mattarella
3 hours -
KOSA 2003 Year Group unveils GH¢10m classroom project at fundraising event
3 hours -
Woman found dead at Dzodze
5 hours -
Bridging Blight and Opportunity: Mark Tettey Ayumu’s role in Baltimore’s vacant property revival and workforce innovation
5 hours -
Court blocks Blue Gold move as investors fight alleged plot to strip shareholder rights
5 hours -
Nana Aba Anamoah rates Mahama’s performance
6 hours -
Ghana selects Bryant University as World Cup base camp
7 hours -
Nana Aba Anamoah names Doreen Andoh and Kwasi Twum as her dream interviewees
7 hours -
Religious Affairs Minister urges Christians to embrace charity and humility as Lent begins
8 hours -
Religious Affairs Minister calls for unity as Ramadan begins
8 hours
