Audio By Carbonatix
The CEO of the National Food Buffer Stock Company (NAFCO) is intensifying efforts to mobilise development partners and key stakeholders to help revamp Ghana’s National Food Security Reserve (NFSR).
George Abradu-Otoo, in his latest round of stakeholder engagements, held joint discussions in Accra with officials from the Dakar Regional Office of the World Food Programme (WFP), the Feed Ghana Secretariat, and Architectural and Engineering Services Ltd (AESL).

The meeting focused on a comprehensive government plan to rehabilitate warehouses and silos, procure food stocks, and provide critical infrastructure such as laboratory equipment and digital tracking and monitoring systems.
Earlier this year, the Ministry of Food and Agriculture committed to releasing GH¢100 million for the purchase of selected grains to restock the national reserve, which is currently said to be empty.
The NFSR is a strategic stockpile of food commodities maintained by NAFCO for deployment during emergencies and lean seasons. It also serves as a tool to reduce post-harvest losses and help control inflation.
Since assuming office in February, Mr. Abradu-Otoo has been engaging international donors and partners—including WFP, ECOWAS, and the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA)—to re-establish the reserve.

This week’s engagement builds on an earlier meeting in May with Dr. Ones Karuho, Regional Head of Resilience and Food Systems at WFP.
At the latest meeting, Mr. Abradu-Otoo emphasised that a national food reserve is essential to protecting the economy from food price shocks, offering a safety net in times of crisis, and supporting both farmers and consumers.
“By stabilising food prices, reserves contribute to overall economic stability and reduce the risk of food-related social unrest,” he said.
Bright Demordzi, National Coordinator of the Feed Ghana Programme, stressed that NAFCO’s role is central to the government’s Agriculture for Economic Transformation Agenda (AETA), hence the investment being made to restock the reserve.

WFP’s Regional Procurement Officer, Mr. Wambui Mbugna, and Regional Supply Chain Officer, Mr. Nuru Jumaine, reaffirmed the UN agency’s commitment to supporting NAFCO.
“We desire to see Africans feed Africans,” they said.
NAFCO’s Deputy CEO, Osmond Amuah, added that a fortified national food reserve in Ghana will significantly enhance food security not only in the country but across the sub-region.
Latest Stories
-
Kingsford Boakye-Yiadom nets first league goal for Everton U21 in Premier League 2
2 hours -
We Condemn Publicly. We Download Privately — A Ghanaian Digital Dilemma
4 hours -
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
5 hours -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
5 hours -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
5 hours -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
5 hours -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
5 hours -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
5 hours -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
5 hours -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
6 hours -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
6 hours -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
6 hours -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
6 hours -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
6 hours -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
6 hours
