Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament for New Juaben South and Ranking Member on Parliament’s Trade, Industry and Tourism Committee, Michael Okyere Baafi, has condemned the recent terrorist attack in Burkina Faso that reportedly affected Ghanaian tomato traders.
In a strongly worded statement, Mr Baafi said he was “deeply appalled” by the incident, which he noted had resulted in the loss of lives, injuries and trauma among innocent Ghanaian traders operating across the border.
Seven Ghanaian traders were reported to have been killed by terrorists in the incident.
The lawmaker criticised the administration of President John Dramani Mahama, accusing it of failing to adequately safeguard Ghanaian citizens engaged in cross-border trade.
“This tragedy underscores the Mahama administration’s glaring incompetence in safeguarding our citizens, particularly those engaged in cross-border trade vital to our economy,” he stated.
Mr Baafi accused government authorities of failing to anticipate the risks associated with operating in Burkina Faso, a country that he said, has battled jihadist insurgencies for several years.
“How could a government, armed with intelligence agencies and diplomatic channels, fail to anticipate such risks in a neighbouring country plagued by jihadist insurgencies for years?” he asked.
He further criticised the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration for what he described as the absence of timely travel advisories, enhanced border patrols or coordinated evacuation efforts for Ghanaian traders who frequently ply the Burkina Faso route.
“Burkina Faso’s security volatility is no secret—yet our Foreign Affairs Ministry issued no timely advisories, no enhanced border patrols, and no coordinated evacuations for our vulnerable traders who traverse these routes daily. This is not mere oversight; it’s a dereliction of duty that borders on criminal negligence,” the statement said.
The MP described tomato traders as critical players in Ghana’s agricultural value chain and export economy, arguing that they had been left exposed despite the known security challenges in the Sahel region.
He called for proactive diplomatic engagement with Burkinabé authorities and better coordination by the National Security Council to protect Ghanaian nationals operating abroad.
Mr Baafi demanded an immediate parliamentary inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the attack and the government’s response, as well as compensation for the families of the victims.
“I demand an immediate parliamentary inquiry into this failure, compensation for the victims’ families, and a comprehensive review of our regional security protocols. Ghanaians deserve better than a government that watches idly as our people perish abroad,” he stated.
Latest Stories
-
GACL board tours Hajj Village and key infrastructure projects at KIA
10 minutes -
Parliament lays Anti-LGBTQI+ Bill for second reading
15 minutes -
Ghana Medical Trust Fund oversees restoration of Cath Lab at Korle Bu
17 minutes -
Broda Harrison recognized as originator, songwriter behind global gospel anthem ‘Don’t Play With Me (God on My Side)’
34 minutes -
Komenda Sugar Factory disconnected from power, water, saddled with heavy debt – Trade Minister
44 minutes -
Ghana Water faces 21% supply deficit, GH¢14.6bn debt and 52% water losses — report warns
1 hour -
ECG urges calm as scheduled power outages hit Ahodwo–Santasi stretch
1 hour -
COCOBOD salary cuts unfair and misguided — Isaac Yaw Opoku
1 hour -
SWAG calls on sports minister, backs gov’ts sports fund policy
1 hour -
Spain to probe social media giants over AI-generated child abuse material
1 hour -
J.J. Rawlings Foundation mourns the death of June 4 uprising figure Sgt. Peter Tasiri
2 hours -
Third round of Russia-Ukraine talks to take place as strikes continue
2 hours -
Kofi Asmah: Cocoa prices, turbulence and the cost of true leadership
2 hours -
Women in Russian man videos scandal not cheap – Issifu Ali
2 hours -
Cedi safe amid digital asset growth – BoG
2 hours
