Audio By Carbonatix
A Supreme Court judge Justice Jones Dotse says the Court was clear in ordering the removal of names of NHIS card holders from the voters' register, settling a controversial debate over the judgment.
“We said the use of the NHIS card is, therefore, unconstitutional and so they should take the opportunity to clear the register of those undesirable persons…period,that’s it,” he said in an interview with reporters during a training programme for some judges.
His comments almost settle the controversy after the Electoral Commission last week said its understanding of the judgment had nothing to do with removing NHIS card registrants.

Chairperson of the Electoral Commission Charlotte Osei [middle]
The Electoral Commission stoked controversy over the Supreme Court judgment after it suggested it had a different understanding.
In a May 19 statement, the Electoral Commission interpreted the order to mean that;
“For persons who registered with NHIA cards, such registrations were lawful at the time of registration, and the subsequent declaration of unconstitutionality in the earlier Abu Ramadan case, does not automatically render them void’. Such a position according to the Supreme Court, “would have the effect of disenfranchising the persons affected”
While hesitant in giving his opinion of the judgment, Justice Jones Dotse clarified that an NHIS card cannot be used as proof of citizenship.
" ...the criteria for the NHIS card was not based on Ghanaian citizenship but only on residence in Ghana so any foreigner in Ghana who is resident in Ghana for six months or more can register for the NHIS card", he explained a 2015 judgment that formed the basis of its recent ruling.
He further explained that the EC should provide a second chance for any Ghanaian who registered with the NHIS card to re-register using the right identification.
"...If anybody is aggrieved [with the judgment] then they should come back to court" Justice Dotse said.
The judgment came after an opposition politician Abu Ramadan dragged the EC to court. The politician asked the court to grant a relief that "the current register of voters which contains the names of persons who have not established qualification to be registered is not reasonably accurate or credible."
Abu Ramadan was incensed after the Electoral Commission's statement and vowed to cite all seven commissioners for contempt.
“If the court spoke in French, the court can speak in English for them to understand the language” he fumed on Joy News' Top Story.
Listen to audio
Latest Stories
-
Police arrest 14 suspected narcotic plant farmers at Daliga
10 minutes -
Call off strike, give us one month to resolve payment issues – Education Minister appeals to GAUA
2 hours -
Cagliari’s Trepy in intensive care after pool incident
2 hours -
Chelsea co-owners Boehly & Walter explore selling stakes
2 hours -
GAUA to consult members after talks with Haruna Iddrisu as strike continues
2 hours -
Man Utd will reject any bid for Fernandes
2 hours -
Guardiola-Walker fallout revealed in new documentary
2 hours -
NDC’s interest aligns with the Constitution – Srem-Sai defends push for speedy trials
3 hours -
Man City move for ÂŁ85m Bouaddi and still want Fernandez
3 hours -
Rodri lands in Barcelona to complete ‘dream’ move
3 hours -
Being fast doesn’t mean perverting justice – Srem-Sai challenges critics to prove manipulation
3 hours -
Lawyers can’t decide how cases run – Srem-Sai fires back in vacation court row
4 hours -
Aksa case should ordinarily be handled by OSP, not EOCO – Manhyia South MP
4 hours -
Norway’s king admitted to hospital and put on sick leave
4 hours -
Education Minister engages university administrators over ongoing strike
4 hours