Audio By Carbonatix
Pope Leo has urged Ukraine and Russia to find the "courage" to hold direct talks to end the war during his first Christmas remarks to crowds in St Peter's Square.
He called for an end to conflicts around the world during his Urbi et Orbi address, which the pontiff traditionally delivers on Christmas Day to worshippers gathered in Vatican City.
Speaking about Ukraine, the Pope said: "May the clamour of weapons cease, and may the parties involved, with the support and commitment of the international community, find the courage to engage in sincere, direct and respectful dialogue."
His plea comes as US-led negotiations on a deal to end the fighting continue.
The US has sought to put together an agreement acceptable to both sides, but direct talks between Russia and Ukraine have not taken place during this latest round of diplomatic efforts.
Pope Leo also decried turmoil and conflict plaguing other parts of the world, including Thailand and Cambodia, where deadly border clashes have flared up despite a ceasefire in July.
He asked that the South East Asian nations' "ancient friendship" be restored and "to work towards reconciliation and peace".

During an earlier Christmas Day sermon in St Peter's Basilica, Pope Leo lamented the conditions of homeless people worldwide and the damage caused by conflicts.
"Fragile is the flesh of defenceless populations, tried by so many wars, ongoing or concluded, leaving behind rubble and open wounds," he said.
He said the story of Jesus' birth showed that God had "pitched his fragile tent" among the people of the world. "How, then," he asked, turning his attention to the conditions of Palestinians, "can we not think of the tents in Gaza, exposed for weeks to rain, wind and cold?"
Gaza has been devastated by Israeli bombardment in a two-year war, triggered by Hamas's attack on Israel on 7 October 2023.
Winter storms have compounded the plight of the territory's 2.1m population, nearly all of whom have been displaced and whose homes have been damaged or destroyed.
Aid agencies have called for Israel to allow more tents and urgently needed supplies into Gaza.
COGAT, the Israeli military body which controls Gaza's border crossings, has dismissed claims of deliberate aid restrictions, saying almost 310,000 tents and tarpaulins had been delivered since the start of the ceasefire in October.
Latest Stories
-
Youth unemployment remains government’s biggest challenge — Asiedu Nketia
4 minutes -
Cost of borrowing projected to increase despite policy rate hold – banks
6 minutes -
Guardiola to leave Man City after 10 years as boss
10 minutes -
Carrick confirmed as Man Utd permanent manager
16 minutes -
Photos: Parliament reconvenes, opens second meeting of ninth parliament
16 minutes -
Aisha Bengai challenges young women to prioritise business investment over luxury spending
21 minutes -
AMA donates streetlights to improve security and trading conditions at Kantamanto Market
26 minutes -
Registrar of Companies set to delist 318 companies over compliance breaches
28 minutes -
NDC’s Ako Gunn dismisses NPP petition against judge as bid for political relevance
29 minutes -
National Ambulance Service rejects claims that EMTs are poorly trained
32 minutes -
Fire destroys part of cargo truck near Konongo fuel station
38 minutes -
2026 World Cup: No Foden, Trent and Palmer as Tuchel names England squad for tournament
41 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on Friday May 22
52 minutes -
Ronaldo scores twice to seal Saudi Pro League at last with Al-Nassr
56 minutes -
SSNIT clarifies hotel advertisement, denies sale reports
1 hour