Audio By Carbonatix
Vuvuzelas could be banned in South African football grounds unless Kaizer Chiefs fans improve their behaviour.
At a recent cup game, supporters of the country's most popular club threw two vuvuzelas and a cabbage onto the pitch.
Chiefs have been handed a suspended fine of US$72,130, while their chairman was ordered to make a public apology.
"Should vuvuzelas continue to be used as missiles they could be banned," the Premier Soccer League's prosecutor Zola Majavu said on Thursday.
Many football fans watching this year's World Cup in South Africa on television wish that vuvuzelas had been banned, given the wasp-like drone that accompanied match commentaries.
However, thousands of supporters took vuvuzelas to games, with many visiting fans purchasing an item that came to symbolise the 2010 World Cup.
Should any Chiefs fan throw a missile onto the pitch for the rest of the season, the Johannesburg-based club must pay its fine - and could prompt a vuvuzela ban.
Chiefs were also ordered to pay costs of US$3,000 for the disciplinary hearing and told to hold a news conference to denounce spectator misbehaviour.
"We call upon (fans) to help identify rogue elements intent on causing disruption," club chairman Kaizer Motaung told the news conference on Thursday.
"Once (they are) identified we intend to blacklist theses individuals."
In recent years, South African fans have started taking loaves of bread and raw cabbages to games, eating them in front of television cameras to symbolise 'eating' their opponents.
Chiefs fans, meanwhile, have taken credit for making the noisy plastic vuvuzela trumpets a popular part of South African football culture.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
2 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
2 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
2 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
2 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
2 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
2 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
2 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
2 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
2 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
2 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
2 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
3 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
3 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
3 hours -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
3 hours