Audio By Carbonatix
Former Deputy Attorney General, Alfred Tuah-Yeboah has expressed surprise that it took an intervention by the Supreme Court to halt preparations for the Kpandai parliamentary rerun, despite ongoing legal challenges to the High Court ruling that annulled the 2024 election.
Speaking on JoyNews’ Newsfile programme on Saturday, December 20, Tuah-Yeboah said the decision to proceed with plans for a rerun election while substantive appeals were pending raised serious constitutional and procedural concerns.
In his view, prudence demanded that all processes be put on hold long before the apex court stepped in.
“I’m honestly surprised that it took the Supreme Court to halt all the other processes,” he said.
“Once the matter had moved beyond the High Court and was clearly headed to the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court, common sense and respect for due process should have dictated that everything else be suspended.”
His comments follow a unanimous decision by the Supreme Court directing the Electoral Commission (EC) to freeze all activities related to the Kpandai rerun, which had earlier been scheduled for December 30, 2025.
The court’s order is pending the determination of an application seeking to quash the High Court judgment that nullified the election.
Tuah-Yeboah noted that proceeding with a rerun in the midst of unresolved appeals risked creating avoidable legal and administrative complications.
“If the Supreme Court eventually overturns the High Court decision, then all the steps taken towards a rerun would have been in vain, and that is not how electoral justice should be managed,” he cautioned.
The former Deputy Attorney General said the Supreme Court’s intervention, though necessary, underscores deeper constitutional questions about jurisdiction, timing and the protection of electoral rights.
Until the matter is heard again on January 13, 2026, he stressed, the EC is rightfully restrained from taking any further action, adding that institutions must learn to exercise restraint when election disputes are still before the courts.
Latest Stories
-
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
40 minutes -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
2 hours -
Baffoe-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy’ against Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin
2 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
3 hours -
GIPA secures investor leads at Invest Fest 2026
3 hours -
Ghana’s missing billions: What 16 years of Auditor-General reports show
3 hours -
Police disown viral flyer on AirPods, earphones use while driving
3 hours -
Stop using media to challenge judicial decisions – Thaddeus Sory to lawyers
3 hours -
The next generation expects more than degrees from universities
3 hours -
Ebenezer Dwomoh to stage fourth stand-up comedy special in Kumasi
3 hours -
Central Regional Minister urges traditional leaders to hold public officials accountable
3 hours -
Ada Traditional Council suspends four members for defying cancellation of 2026 Asafotufiami durbar
3 hours -
Association of Small-scale Industries, GEA strengthen artisans through mentorship, coaching
3 hours -
Two arrested over alleged galamsey activities in Tanoso
3 hours -
Ghana rises to sixth-largest gold producer globally after record 2025 output
3 hours