Audio By Carbonatix
Manchester City's Mario Balotelli has been charged with violent conduct by the Football Association after appearing to stamp on Scott Parker.
The incident occurred in City's 3-2 win over Tottenham, with Balotelli scoring a late penalty to win Sunday's match.
Following a dismissal earlier this season Balotelli, 21, faces a four-match ban, but any unsuccessful appeal could result in a longer suspension.
Joleon Lescott will not be punished after a clash with Younes Kaboul.
Manchester City defender Lescott caught Kaboul in the face with his forearm in a separate incident at the Etihad Stadium.
Italy striker Balotelli, who has until 1800 GMT on Wednesday to respond to the charge, came on as a 65th-minute substitute against Spurs.
He was booked for a foul on Benoit Assou-Ekotto, but after escaping punishment from referee Howard Webb following his clash with Parker, the striker was fouled by Ledley King in the final minute of added time and converted the resulting penalty.
If he pleads guilty, Balotelli will miss Wednesday's Carling Cup semi-final second leg against Liverpool at Anfield.
However, should the Italian international decide to appeal he will be available for that tie, with a hearing likely to take place later this week.
The normal punishment for violent conduct is a three-match suspension but Balotelli was sent-off in the league match at Liverpool in November so would incur an additional one-game ban.
Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was incensed that Balotelli was not dismissed in Sunday's crucial Premier League encounter for what he termed a "blatant" foul.
"It is not the first time he has done that and I am sure it won't be the last," Redknapp said.
"I have got my own opinions but I don't like people kicking other people in the head on football pitches. I don't think it's wrong to say that.
"Why you should backheel someone in the head when they are lying on the floor is beyond me. It's not a nice thing to do.
"He reacts to challenges like that at times. Scott has got a cut on his head."
Spurs, who fought back from two goals down to draw level in a gripping contest, could have moved within two points of City with a victory at the Etihad Stadium.
But City's controversial win took them eight points ahead of the Londoners and maintained a three-point advantage over second-place Manchester United.
Meanwhile, in an interview with BBC Radio 5 live, former Premier League referee Graham Poll compared the Balotelli-Parker incident with a moment in the 2010 World Cup final when Webb chose not to send off Nigel de Jong of the Netherlands for kicking out at Xavi Alonso of Spain.
"I struggle with the fact that Howard Webb didn't see it but then he didn't see six studs land on someone's chest in the World Cup," Poll said.
"I like Howard, I think he's a great referee but basic instructions to referees are that if two players clash and you cannot trust them then you shouldn't leave them on their own.
"You stop play - it's as simple as that."
Asked about the FA's policy on punishments Poll added: "They are so inconsistent on what they charge and what they don't.
"What's the matter with transparency? Balotelli is certain to my mind to get a four-match ban whereas Joleon Lescott is free to play.
"I do not believe there's a bias in the FA but I do believe there's inconsistency."
Balotelli joined City in a £24m deal from Inter Milan in the summer of 2010 but has been involved in a number of controversies on and off the pitch.
He has been sent off three times, was unable to continue after suffering an allergy to the grass in Kiev, threw a dart at a reserve team player and escaped injury after a firework was let off in his house.
City's Sergio Aguero defended his strike partner, however, insisting there is a big difference between the public perception of Balotelli and the player he sees every day.
"Firstly we all know what a fantastic player he is. But those of us who are really close to Mario know that off the field he's a really good lad," the Argentina international said.
"Like a lot of players he has his own idiosyncracies here and there. You know him as a player - what you see on the field. But I know he's a lovely lad."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Toxic exposure from galamsey puts elderly at greater risk of kidney damage — Public health expert
5 minutes -
Big talk, small receipts: the politics of promises and policy
6 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana will reduce 70% medicine import dependence under five-year plan
9 minutes -
Study reveals high rate of uropathogens among Ghanaian elderly
11 minutes -
Christabel wins first Star Chef title as Big Chef Season 5 begins
11 minutes -
Tanker drivers begin three-day strike over alleged fuel measurement inaccuracies at BOST Kumasi
13 minutes -
Trump says US to reduce military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war
14 minutes -
Greater Manchester NDC UK branch elects new executives
15 minutes -
Ghana’s anti-corruption fight has stagnated— Transparency International
19 minutes -
UMB, ORC partner to make business registration easier for entrepreneurs
23 minutes -
Cedi is ‘long overdue for a refresh’ – Mahama
26 minutes -
GenCED urges NPP to extend 50% nomination fee reduction to women, youth and PWDs
30 minutes -
The source of cedi appreciation matters more than the appreciation itself
37 minutes -
Ashanti cocoa farmers welcome new COCOBOD Bill, back key reforms
40 minutes -
‘GoldBod is a very big scandal awaiting us’ – Afenyo-Markin
41 minutes