Adele has gone back to number one in the UK with the biggest chart figures for almost five years.
Her new single Easy On Me had a record 24 million streams in the UK in its first week as well as 23,500 downloads.
Using the Official Charts Company’s formula, that is equivalent to 217,300 sales – the highest since Ed Sheeran’s Shape of You in January 2017.
Easy On Me is the first track from the singer’s hotly-anticipated fourth album 30, which will be released next month.
The pop superstar recently told Vogue magazine that the album was recorded to help her eight-year-old son understand why she and his father got divorced.
Explaining the lyrics of the first single, in which she sings “Go easy on me…”, Adele said: “It’s not like anyone’s having a go at me, but it’s like, I left the marriage. Be kind to me as well.
“It was the first song I wrote for the album and then I didn’t write anything else for six months after because I was like, ‘OK, well, I’ve said it all.”
The song is her third UK number one, following Someone Like You in 2011 and Hello in 2016.
In the album chart, Coldplay’s Music of the Spheres became the fastest-selling record of the year so far, with 101,000 chart sales.
It is Coldplay’s ninth UK number one album in a row. Meanwhile My Universe, their collaboration with South Korean boy band BTS has jumped 10 places to number five in the singles rundown.
Coldplay recently told the BBC their next tour will partly be powered by a dancefloor that generates electricity when fans jump up and down, and pedal power at the venues.
- Buses carrying 202 foreigners intercepted at Aflao
- Ecobank vs Daniel Ofori: Stay calm, don’t panic – Bank to customers, shareholders
- Police officer harassing woman in a viral video arrested
- Akufo-Addo has monopolised LX-DIO private jet at US$14,000 per hour from July till date – Okudzeto Ablakwa alleges
- Allow cool heads to prevail – Ato Forson cautions Majority Caucus against plans to challenge Speakers ruling on the budget
- Over 300 suspected criminals arrested in military operation in northern Ghana
- Anas Aremeyaw Anas wins 2021 Foreign Journalist Award in the US
- Haul John Boadu before Parliament if you find his comments contemptuous – Nyarko Osei tells Kwame Agbodza
- Agri-impact wins big at the at the Ghana Agribusiness Excellence & Leadership Awards
- NDC Bono Regional Proforum congratulates Minority MPs for rejecting the 2022 Budget
Rejection of 2022 budget: Majority should take the matter to court – Lawyer
Omicron Netherlands: 13 air passengers test positive for new variant
COVID-19 Omicron Variant: ‘We have not identified one in Ghana’ – Patrick Kuma-Aboagye
Covid-19 vaccination: Over 7million vaccines to be received before the year ends – Kuma-Aboagye
Roads Minister cannot revoke road toll without Parliament’s backing – Lawyer
Unvaccinated persons are seven times more likely to die of Covid-19 – GHS
Botswana records new COVID-19 variant; urges calm as investigations continue
Fiscal challenge main threat to economic stability, job creation – Terkper to government
Indonesia takes initiative to promote Ghana’s private sector growth, bilateral trade
Playback: The Law discusses the legality of toll suspension and rejection of 2022 budget
BoG revises Risk Management Directive again
Playback: Government announces measures to prevent fourth wave of Covid-19
Security personnel deployed to Lukula over land and chieftaincy dispute
Nigerian celebrities Simi and Chigul expose sexism in music and Nollywood
NDC Bono Regional Proforum congratulates Minority MPs for rejecting the 2022 Budget