Audio By Carbonatix
Angola head coach Patrice Beaumelle has criticised FIFA for allowing football clubs to retain players from countries that have qualified for the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) until 7 days before the start of the tournament.
Beaumelle made the comments in response to FIFA’s announcement on Wednesday, which essentially sets aside the previous convention that made it compulsory to release players, at least fourteen days before the commencement of international tournaments on the FIFA calendar.
“FIFA only needs Africa during elections, but it doesn’t value our competitions like AFCON or give them the recognition they deserve,” Beaumelle said.
Wednesday’s development significantly entrenches an already lopsided power dynamic, which has emboldened European clubs to keep African players from representing their countries, sometimes until the tournament has already started.
Previously, clubs were required to release players two weeks before the start of major international tournaments.
However, FIFA has decided to set this rule aside, rather urging affected African countries to ‘‘hold bilateral discussions in good faith to find appropriate individual solutions. In cases where there continues to be a dispute over the release of players subsequent to such bilateral discussions, FIFA will, in mediating between both parties, apply guidelines that take into account the circumstances of each case, including factors related to the timing of matches of affected competitions, the stage of these competitions, the historical and planned involvement of the players in the competitions in question, as well as any other pertinent factors.’’
This year’s tournament begins on December 21, but FIFA’s circular means the continent's best players may not be released until a week before the tournament.
Premier League clubs like Liverpool, Sunderland, Crystal Palace, and Manchester United will no longer face sanctions if they decide to keep their players until December 15, 2025.
Tournament hosts Morocco could be forced to delay their pre-tournament camp, as up to 19 members of their team are currently playing in Europe.
Defending champions Ivory Coast are likely to be the worst hit, with up to 23 players plying their trade in Europe.
Latest Stories
-
UBIDS secures $6.6m prefabricated classroom complex to end space deficit
2 hours -
Fire guts Saboba Hospital’s Children Ward
3 hours -
Interior Ministry extends aptitude test dates for WASSCE applicants in 2025/26 security services recruitment
4 hours -
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
5 hours -
Gomoa-East demolition: 14 suspects remanded by Kasoa Ofaakor Court
6 hours -
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
7 hours -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
7 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
7 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
8 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
8 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
8 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
8 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
9 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
9 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
9 hours
