Audio By Carbonatix
Russian state investigators have brought new charges against opposition leader Alexei Navalny.
They say Mr Navalny, who is convalescing in Germany after being poisoned, fraudulently spent public donations on his personal needs.
Mr Navalny described the case as a fabrication and "hysterics" from President Vladimir Putin.
The Kremlin has repeatedly denied Mr Navalny's claims the president was behind the near-fatal attack in August.
A report published by investigative group Bellingcat and Western media earlier this month blamed FSB agents for the poisoning, carried out with the nerve agent Novichok.
The new charges come days after Navalny ally Lyubov Sobol was detained in Moscow after an early-morning raid on her home.
She is suspected of threatening a Federal Security Service (FSB) agent, who Mr Navalny says was involved in poisoning him.
Last week, Mr Navalny posted a recording of a 45-minute conversation with the agent, Konstantin Kudryavtsev, on his YouTube channel, in which he apparently tricked him into divulging details of the attempt on his life.
The video has been viewed more than 21 million times.
'Putin is a thief'
Russia's Investigative Committee, which deals with serious crimes, accuses Mr Navalny of spending more than $4.8m (£3.55m) of public donations to his organisations on personal acquisitions.
It says he used the funds to acquire property, buy material goods and pay for expenses such as overseas travel.
Mr Navalny responded on Twitter that he had expected a reaction of this kind.
"I always said they would try to put me in jail for surviving and then hunting my killers. For proving that Putin is personally behind it all, " he said.
"He is a thief who is ready to kill those who refuse to keep quiet about his thievery."
Analysts say the charges are likely to be seen as a sign that the Russian authorities do not want Mr Navalny to return to Russia, though their official position is that he is free to return.
On Monday he said the Russian prison service had ordered him to return to Russia by Tuesday or face a possible prison sentence in a separate theft case. He currently has a suspended sentence in the case.
The opposition leader says he intends to go back to Russia when he is recovered, but was unable to return for this deadline.
Latest Stories
-
Sinapi Aba apprenticeship program graduates 290 youth in Koforidua and Suhum
8 minutes -
Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu calls for separation of Parliament and ministerial appointments
13 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Hearts of Oak must ‘win games’ to become champions – Didi Dramani
16 minutes -
Ghana Embassy in Washington launches investment drive in California
28 minutes -
GNAT condemns attack on WASS teachers, vows zero tolerance for violence
32 minutes -
ICGC The Royal Temple donates over GH¢50,000 worth of items to Akropong School for the Blind
34 minutes -
The speaker should be a member of Parliament—Kyei Mensah-Bonsu
35 minutes -
Minority in Parliament doing their best under difficult circumstances – Kyei Mensah- Bonsu
37 minutes -
Fire outbreak at Debiso claims one life
50 minutes -
May God give us the strength and wisdom to serve Ghana with integrity and love – Bawumia
52 minutes -
I am encouraged by our reconciliation efforts – Bawumia
60 minutes -
Accra Mayor empowers 88 PWDs with working tools, start-up capital worth over GH¢300,000
1 hour -
Moon sighting for Ramadan 2026 set for February 18 – Office of Chief Imam
2 hours -
NAIMOS task force cracks down on galamsey in Ashanti Region over Valentine’s weekend
2 hours -
OSP goofed and must tell Ghanaians the truth – Frank Davies reacts to Red Notice decision
2 hours
