Audio By Carbonatix
Former Deputy Trade Minister, Michael Okyere Baafi, has dismissed claims of a GH¢21 billion audit exposé, describing the narrative as misleading and politically motivated.
Speaking on Newsfile on Saturday, March 14, he argued that the government was using the issue to shift public focus away from mounting challenges facing the country.
“I insist that there is nothing like a GH¢21 billion audit exposé,” Mr Baafi said.
“I think this is misleading because they intend to use this to divert attention due to the pressures the government is facing in the country.”
He maintained that the figures being circulated in public discussions had been misrepresented and required proper context.
Finance Ministry disclosures
The controversy stems from disclosures by the Ministry of Finance during a statement in Parliament delivered on behalf of Finance Minister Cassiel Ato Forson by Deputy Finance Minister Thomas Nyarko Ampem.
According to the ministry, GH¢68.7 billion in public claims had been submitted for audit. Of that amount, GH¢45.4 billion was validated for payment, while GH¢8.1 billion was rejected due to irregularities such as unsupported documentation, duplication, inflated amounts and payments for work that was never executed.
Another GH¢13.2 billion was flagged for further scrutiny due to serious concerns.
The ministry said the audit uncovered systemic weaknesses that enabled practices including fictitious claims, recycled invoices, forged store receipt advice and collusion between contractors and public officials.
Accountability measures introduced
The government has since introduced what it describes as a “triple-lock” accountability framework, requiring full verification before public payments are approved.
The findings have also been referred to the Office of the Attorney-General and the Ministry of Justice for possible criminal prosecution where wrongdoing is established.
However, Mr Baafi insists the framing of the issue as a massive exposé is inaccurate and risks misleading the public.
Latest Stories
-
Man’s conviction quashed for 2018 murder in County Louth
9 minutes -
Homeless Ghanaian in Canada notorious for ‘shit-bombing’ re-arrested over alleged sexual assault
15 minutes -
Telecel Foundation bridges maternal health gap at Kasseh Health Centre in Ada
36 minutes -
McDan Group’s response to GACL’s “buyer beware” notice on disputed Spintex land
37 minutes -
Reforming NaSIA’s governance framework for enhanced autonomy & quality assurance
40 minutes -
Why Africa’s best-educated remain the west’s lowest-paid
59 minutes -
Encroachment around Kpeve treatment plant must cease for water production to continue – Stanley Martey
1 hour -
Health Ministry to introduce volunteer programme for over 6,000 unemployed health graduates
1 hour -
Sports Minister rejects claims delayed funds disrupted game organisation
1 hour -
Shift closed fishing season to May/June – Sankofa Project recommends
1 hour -
2023 All African Games: PAC questions GH¢35m expenditure without supporting documents
1 hour -
Sports Minister rejects claims of poor feeding at African Athletics Championship
2 hours -
Toronto police arrest Ghanaian over two separate sexual assault incidents
2 hours -
Kpeve Water Plant shut down over soaring turbidity levels, encroachment – GWL
2 hours -
Kofi Adams dismisses broken pole vault equipment claims at African Athletics Championships
2 hours