Audio By Carbonatix
Convener of the OneGhana Movement and Trustee of the Ghana Coalition Against Galamsey, Senyo Hosi, has described the revelations from the government’s public claims audit as evidence of deep systemic failure within the country’s governance structure.
Speaking on Newsfile on Saturday, March 14, he argued that the scale of irregularities uncovered points to a system that has long enabled the looting of state resources.
According to Mr Hosi, the findings should not be viewed as isolated incidents but as proof of entrenched weaknesses in public financial management.
“I’m clear in my mind that our governance system is designed to loot the state,” he said.
“When you see the magnitude of irregularities in claims submitted for payment, you realise this is not accidental but systemic.”
Audit findings
The remarks follow disclosures by the Ministry of Finance in Parliament that GH¢8.1 billion in public claims had been rejected after an audit uncovered irregularities including unsupported documentation, duplication, inflated amounts and payments for work that was never undertaken.
Out of GH¢68.7 billion submitted for verification, the ministry said GH¢45.4 billion was validated for payment, while GH¢13.2 billion was flagged for serious concerns.
Call for systemic reforms
Mr Hosi warned that without fundamental reforms to the country’s governance and accountability framework, similar problems would persist.
He stressed that institutions responsible for financial oversight must be strengthened to prevent collusion between contractors and public officials.
The Ministry of Finance has since referred the audit findings to the Office of the Attorney-General and the Ministry of Justice for possible criminal prosecution.
The government has also announced a “triple-lock” accountability framework aimed at tightening verification procedures and strengthening budget controls before public payments are approved.
Latest Stories
-
Recovery is possible — NACOC Director-General urges youth battling substance abuse to seek help
26 seconds -
Jinapor appeals for calm after nationwide power outage, says Akosombo works will be completed next month
5 minutes -
BoG Governor rules out immediate cut in Ghana’s inflation target
11 minutes -
All 23 banks now fully capitalised – BoG Governor
14 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule Friday on challenge to Chief Justice’s legal vacation directives
17 minutes -
Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion
18 minutes -
Sunyani–Atronie–Acherensua road project reaches 33% completion
21 minutes -
Know what you bring, know your partner first
22 minutes -
Kumasi businessman and Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
23 minutes -
Ghanaian defender David Oduro set to leave Barcelona for Aston Villa
29 minutes -
Parah Foundation commissions GH¢60,000 water project for over 300 families in Adeiso-Domeabra
37 minutes -
IES calls for urgent GRIDCo assessment after third nationwide blackout in three weeks
39 minutes -
Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work
42 minutes -
Digital engines of growth: The role and impact of ICT on SMEs in Ghana
47 minutes -
Absa supports €456m financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth
47 minutes