If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it — right? Well, some of you Apple product users may not have a choice this weekend.
Apple is warning owners of older iPhones and iPads that if they don’t update their devices to the latest iOS software by Sunday, they won’t be able to connect to the internet.
iPhone and iPad products from 2012 and earlier will need the update before midnight UTC on November 3 in order to maintain accurate GPS location and continue using the App Store, iCloud, email and web browsing, according to Apple.
This is all because of the GPS time rollover issue, according to Apple, something that happens about every 19 years when GPS devices need to reset in order to accurately measure time and dates, according to the Office of Electricity at the Department of Energy.
Apple said during the last reset on April 6, GPS-enabled products from other manufacturers were affected.
So if you have an iPhone 5, 4, or a cellular-enabled iPad mini, iPad 2 or a third-generation iPad, this is for you.
The updated software version number should be 10.3.4 or 9.3.6, depending on your device.
iOS 10.3.4: iPhone 5 and iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
iOS 9.3.6: iPhone 4s, iPad mini (1st generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA models only), iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
If you’re not sure which version your iPhone or iPad has, follow these directions:
1. Open the Settings app
2. Tap General, then tap About
3. Look for the number next to Software Version
If you’re not able to update your devices before Sunday, Apple said you’ll have to back up and restore using a computer because over-the-air software updates and iCloud Backup won’t work anymore.
- Takoradi woman in latest fake kidnapping jailed 6 years
- What are the 53 phone models that WhatsApp no longer supports?
- Allegations of bias against Justice Honyenuga unfounded, Opuni trial can proceed – Supreme Court
- As it happened: Shatta Wale, Medikal each granted ¢100k bail
- CAF Confederation Cup: Hearts of Oak drawn with Algeria’s JS Saoura
- Go to IMF for liquidity support; your finances not good – gov’t told
- Shatta Wale and Medikal each get ¢100k bail
- Alajo coup plot: You cannot travel to Kenya – Court declines Agordzo’s request
- Parliament’s debate on Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill and MPs’ vote to be made public
- My employee became my landlord at a point in my career – CEO of Websoft solutions recounts
Over 220,000 job opportunities from NAELP not meant for NPP foot soldiers – Abu Jinapor
Clinton’s former aide, Huma Abedin details sex assault by US senator
Brazil senators back criminal charges against Bolsonaro over Covid-19 handling
Collector returns Mayan artefact to Guatemala
Just because our relationship ended doesn’t mean I don’t wish you well
Archbishop of Canterbury, others oppose Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill, pledge to engage with Archbishop of Ghana
Ghanaian artistes urged to use resources available when making music to avoid song theft claims
Madina MP files contempt charges against police officers involved in Monday’s protest
Retract and apologise for defamatory publication or face court action – Lawyers of Eugene Arhin to Adom-Boakye
Elon Musk is now worth more than ExxonMobil
Government to punish employers who refuse to pay pension for employees
Parliament’s transparency on anti-LGBT bill is good for our democracy – Sam George
Covid: Biden sets new rules as air travel to the US reopens
Banning tricycles from highways unconstitutional – Minority
GFA to reward referee of the season with a car